The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of snails are best for a shrimp tank?? I see people saying they have pond snails, ramshorn snails or assassin snails...... I'm wanting to get some snails to help clean my tank... I don't care if they reproduce :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
assassin snails might eat your shrimp every now and then and won't really help clean your tank. i keep pond, ramshorn, and mystery snails in my shrimp tanks. my mystery snails seem kinda lazy tho

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cuz has mystery snails and they don't seem to do anything... how a snail that's over a inch in size eats so lil I'll never figure out lol... so pond and ramshorn are best? Anyone have experience with nerite snails??

·
Registered
338 Posts
i'm also interested in what are good! i have some mystery snails in my son's livebearer tank, some assassian's in my son's betta tank (to kill off unwanted snails in there) and some trumpets in my shrimp tank. although i got them for free and really don't know anything about trumpet snails.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Assassin snails DO NOT EAT SHRIMP. They just don't and can't. It's different if the shrimp is already sick, dying or dead...It is also a common misconception that assassins do not breed. They do.

Nerites are one of my favorite snails. They clean the glass of hard green spot algae (which needs to be scraped with a razor or credit card otherwise). They do not breed in FW (or rather the eggs do not survive) but WILL leave uniformly spaced lines of eggs on decor and corner beads.

Pond snails are ugly, multiply super fast, poop allot and don't contribute much to the well being of the tank.

Ramshorns are much nicer looking IMO and more funtional than pond snails.

None of the above listed snails eat healthy plants/leaves.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
uh

Assassin snails DO NOT EAT SHRIMP. They just don't and can't. It's different if the shrimp is already sick, dying or dead...It is also a common misconception that assassins do not breed. They do.

Nerites are one of my favorite snails. They clean the glass of hard green spot algae (which needs to be scraped with a razor or credit card otherwise). They do not breed in FW (or rather the eggs do not survive) but WILL leave uniformly spaced lines of eggs on decor and corner beads.

Pond snails are ugly, multiply super fast, poop allot and don't contribute much to the well being of the tank.

Ramshorns are much nicer looking IMO and more funtional than pond snails.

None of the above listed snails eat healthy plants/leaves.
What's better listed 1-what ever.. ramshorn, nerits, MTS, or assassin??

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
"Assassin snails DO NOT EAT SHRIMP. They just don't and can't. It's different if the shrimp is already sick, dying or dead."

Before making blanket statements like that, you may want to do a quick search of the forum. There are some first hand accounts that contradict this statement...

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Depends on the kind of tank parameters. Ramshorns and pond snails melt in my cbs tanks at 0 kh and 5 gh.

I'm always partial to mts because they clean the tank but are nocturnal so you almost never seem them during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nerites are awesome!!! My brother loves trumpet snails because they clean the substrate. Ramshorn are pretty quick bugger's that do a decent job as well. That's my order and the only ones I've had. Good luck!

·
Registered
292 Posts
"Assassin snails DO NOT EAT SHRIMP. They just don't and can't. It's different if the shrimp is already sick, dying or dead."

Before making blanket statements like that, you may want to do a quick search of the forum. There are some first hand accounts that contradict this statement...
I've seen it written but just don't believe it. I've had hundreds of both spread over 10 tanks and only ONCE witnessed an assassin go after a shrimp and it was already dead. This is my experience.

I also read that assassins don't breed. I started with 3 or 4 and by the time I finished selling them all off I had almost 300.

They eat meat and high protein foods but no shrimp is going to sit around and let a snail crawl on it.

To the OP.
I'd recommend:
-a few mts to clean substrate(they WILL multiply)***usually free at lfs
-a nerite or two to clean glass and wood thoroughly 1-3$
-a few ramshorns to outcompete pondsnails until your shrimp take off, then the population of both will decline .50$-1$

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tyvm

I've seen it written but just don't believe it. I've had hundreds of both spread over 10 tanks and only ONCE witnessed an assassin go after a shrimp and it was already dead. This is my experience.

I also read that assassins don't breed. I started with 3 or 4 and by the time I finished selling them all off I had almost 300.

They eat meat and high protein foods but no shrimp is going to sit around and let a snail crawl on it.

To the OP.
I'd recommend:
-a few mts to clean substrate(they WILL multiply)***usually free at lfs
-a nerite or two to clean glass and wood thoroughly 1-3$
-a few ramshorns to outcompete pondsnails until your shrimp take off, then the population of both will decline .50$-1$
Kool deal so y not assassin snails instead of mts? I don't have pet stores so I will havta order any I get online :( hopefully I'll find someone on here who will sell me some cheap. :) I'll post a wtb when I make up my mind :/

·
Registered
292 Posts
Because they'll multiply and take out your other snails;-)

I'd hook you up for free but I'm in Canada eh

·
Registered
14 Posts

lol, google "assassin snail kill shrimp" and click the first link...or don't since you seem to be the authority on snails

OP: there are many people who say they have witnessed assassins killing healthy shrimp. it rarely happens, but IS possible, especially with smaller shrimp who might have trouble escaping. there's even a youtube video of one trying to take down an amano shrimp, though the amano ends up breaking free at the end. if you wanna keep assassins just make sure you have enough other snails for them to eat. i feed mine blood worms sometimes

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
huh

lol, google "assassin snail kill shrimp" and click the first link...or don't since you seem to be the authority on snails

OP: there are many people who say they have witnessed assassins killing healthy shrimp. it rarely happens, but IS possible, especially with smaller shrimp who might have trouble escaping. there's even a youtube video of one trying to take down an amano shrimp, though the amano ends up breaking free at the end. if you wanna keep assassins just make sure you have enough other snails for them to eat. i feed mine blood worms sometimes
Well I believe its possible. Its most likely because the assassin snail is really hungry and that's why its attacking healthy shrimp. If the guy your arguing with keeps his fed then he most likely doesn't ever have that issue :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have assassin, ramhorn, nerite, and mts.

The ones I like the most are the ramhorns because they clean up any leftover food, and second would be horned nerite because they just look so nice.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Bad memory, It happened in front of my eyes...
You know that one wasn't dead or dying already? Sorry that happened. I just can't see a shrimp letting a slow-a** assassin eat it's insides out. I sometimes have a hard enough time catching those little guys, with a shrimp net, especially the smallest ones, the way they zip so quickly out of the way, usually backwards. I think they would have to be very old and dying or in deep, deep sleep to let that happen.

To the OP: I wouldn't get assassin snails if I were you, if you want to keep other snails. They do breed in the aquarium. They have bred in 3 of my aquariums. Although, an assassin snail requires a male and female to reproduce, so keeping only one can help keep your other snail population under control, without the assassins taking control over your tank. They are a pretty snail too.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Would any of you guys be wanting to part with starter quantities of your snails. I have decided against assassins.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts