The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I like snails, have since I was a little kid. They were my first pet, kept terrestrial snails in jars with leaves to eat.

The ramshorns in my tank hide so I don't see many and like to get into the sump. I have seen Corydoras eating them, have never seen them eat any living plants and they haven't ever had a population explosion.

The Malaysian Trumpet snails did have a population explosion then died completely off and I don't even have their shells left now. It was something to see and I understand how somebody who doesn't like snails could be horrified at the sight of heaving substrate and wood completely covered by pointy shells. They still didn't eat the plants, they were eating the excessive debris in the tank.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Got pond snails coming out the yin yang. They are a pest. My ramshorns breed at a much lower rate and I like the way they look. Just got a bunch of golden mystery snails and I think I may annihilate the pond snails in favor of their slower, prettier brethren.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't really like ramhorns, They have cleaned my glass great! But they are starting to eat at my juvenile Rotala leaves. Malayasion trumpet snails on the other hand I enjoy having & probably wouldnt do a planted tank without them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.