The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
They're pond snails. They might eat decomposing leaves, sinking feeder pellets, possibly a bit of algae, and generally will survive a nuclear holocaust. Many people find them obnoxious. Others have no problem with them. Either way, they won't damage your plants or harm fish.

You'll end up with pond snails in your tank no matter what (they, and their egg sacs, hitchhike in on plants). You can jumpstart the process by putting these guys in there, or do something else with them. Up to you.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't mind them... I keep pond snails, nerite snails and apple snails in my tanks... I've watched a pond snail clean up some GSA on a Dwarf Sag leaf so see reason not to keep them; unless you find their large numbers annoying.

My little girls particularly loves finding the tiniest snails and egg sacs so she'd be most angry with me if I got rid of them, lol.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I just pulled 50 out in the last 3 days and I am now not a fan, I have a bowl just like that, and trying to figure out the best way to dispose of them humanely... at first i thought it wouldnt be bad to have them, now I am overrun... I would say if I could do it again, I would NOT have them... just me though

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I just pulled 50 out in the last 3 days and I am now not a fan, I have a bowl just like that, and trying to figure out the best way to dispose of them humanely... at first i thought it wouldnt be bad to have them, now I am overrun... I would say if I could do it again, I would NOT have them... just me though

Then stop over feeding the fish...snails populated like crazy when there is EXCESS food to consume.

·
Super Moderator
16,939 Posts
Trumpet snails are better for a planted tank than these Pond Snails (bladder snails)
Trumpet (typically Malaysian Trumpet) Snails are great for tanks that contain sand. They aerate the sand and keep it nice and clean, allow nutrients to circulate to plant roots more easily.

They're not so great for more expensive substrates you don't want to break down or don't want mixed up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.