The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm possibly getting some dwarf puffers soon and already have a decent colony of pond snails going in my no-tech driftwood soaking bin, and so far they like to stay below the water line so I have no lid on the bin they're in.

Are there other non finicky snails that will breed in a fresh water no-teck 'tank' and not be inclined to crawl out?

Does anyone know if different breeds of snail have different nutritional values (protein/fat/etc ratios vary)?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Mexican Trumpet snails are burrowers (which I imagine would last longer) that breed fast if you feed them. They do have thicker shells than pond snails, though.
I think you mean Malaysian Trumpet Snails?

And I keep ramshorns, pond, and MTS in no tech planted vases. I don't specifically breed them in there. They just snuck their way in and survive just fine. None crawl out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use to keep pond, mts, and ramshorn in a dinky 10 gallon with no filter heater or anything but a light and plants... Any snails that were too hard for my dwarf I would just crush against the side of the glass with my finger and drop em in

·
Registered
348 Posts
i had one for a while and remember during the reading up not to feed them mts due to the shells being too hard they can damage their beaks

i would imagine crushing them and then feeding would be alright as they would then be all squidgey :D

ramshorns were the popular ones in my tank

along with pond snails

1 - 6 of 6 Posts