The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one snail show up it looked like an assasin snail but it never killed anything now i have a ton of them plus a ton of the comman pond snails what are the long skinney snails called that root around in the eco:icon_ques

·
Registered
141 Posts
by adjusting you feeding habits he means feed you fish less because the snails are eating the food that falls to the tank floor
and whether malasian trumpet snails are good or not, that is somewhat up to interpretation
they stir up the soil and will aerate it which is generally a good thing
but if you don't like snails (for some unfathomable reason) they're not a good thing to have in your tank

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
They need 2 snails to reproduce, however they reproduce from a young age. So if you had one, it was probably already knocked up when you got it.

I think they store sperm for long periods of time. I had a spixi snail in a tank by itself for a few weeks and all of a sudden it started laying eggs, and she had been separated from the males for at least 2 weeks. MTS are probably similar

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
dont mind them but they can get to be to many

Setup a snail trap, collect as many as possible and SELL THEM. Many people buy these snails to add to thier tank. I have, could find anyone here so I had to go to Ebay.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm going to disagree with the probably were knocked up when you got them theory simply because I have a tank that was void of any plants but two that had been through a QT period and apart from the olive nerite snails that were intentionally introduced, I had no trumpet snails. From out of nowhere one day I spot a baby trumpet snail. Okay, I can live with that. Many months later and no changes to the ecosystem.. another baby snail, now I come to find five more babies a few months later. From the known one adult, I now have at least seven little trumpet snails cavorting about. PS I have MTS snails for sale. LOL

Oh, and I don't overfeed. I have a sole betta in that tank and I am fanatical about feeding him his three pellets in the morning, four in the evening and fasting him one day on the weekend. Nothing goes to waste. He is hand fed and has a voracious appetite. The nerites chomp on algae and the apple snail is content feeding on the glass as well without extra food being introduced.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to agree i really dont over feed i do make sure some pellet food sinks to the bottom for the cherries and my corries but when i do feed the fish the eco looks like a earthquake LOL so if you do want some cool pm me or trade me for some asasins Im also over run with pond snails forgive me if im not supossed to do this here--should i go to s&s Bruce

·
Registered
322 Posts
i think they are beneficial, not only do they clean up deep underneath the substrate, but by them cleaning up the substrate, they keep the plainaria population under control by eating the food the plainaria would have, and MTS aren't dangerous, a little unsightly, but just remove and sell them if they ever get too many

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
easy one is cut the cone part off of a water bottle and invert it so the spout is now inside the bottle. put some veggies in it and they crawl in but dont crawl out. Simple to make just don't cut yourself :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.