The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put some boiled cucumber into the tank and I know the Otos will feed on the stuff, but I'm wondering - once the snails find it and start to gather, the Otos don't seem to mess with the cucumber...is it possible that the Otos don't like to share with the snails?

·
Registered
529 Posts
It's not about not liking to share.

Often snails - depending upon how many you have - just latch on and take over. Sometimes they'll cover a piece of vegetation entirely making it next to impossible for any other critter to get at it.
YEP! Exactly! And when that happens - if they're pest snails that you don't intend to keep on purpose - yank the piece of cucumber out and get rid of the snails. Then put a new piece in for the otto with hopefully less snails swarming.

All if you didn't want the snails to begin with, of course.

·
Super Moderator
16,943 Posts
Something I forgot to mention (sorry!) is that you can always add 2-3 pieces of cucumber/zucchini at the same time so there's plenty available. Then just be sure to remove all uneaten bits.

I have to do this very thing in tanks where I've got more Ramshorns than I know what to do with. And sometimes in tanks with lots of Cherry Shrimp.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's interesting, they must have shown up with some plants I received but I hadn't really considered them a pest until this Oto situation arose. I had just enjoyed them as a "clean-up crew" in my little ecosystem. Perhaps it is time to thin out the numbers a bit with some cucumber slices. I plan on adding Amano shrimp soon and perhaps they will compete with the snails to keep their numbers down a bit.
With your Otos when you feed them a slice say, will they sit on it and eat for long periods of time? Even when I have seen the Otos feed on it, they don't seem to stay and feed for very long...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.