The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have six dead and possibly dying snails floating around the surface of my tank.
What could cause this? All my water parameter are good .. last night one fish got euthanised because of some very peculiar bent spine-ness (a separate thread)
I did a 30% water change yesterday ... I still have plenty of other snails that seem fine

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think they're dead after all one looked it because its foot was face down...but he got turned over and was doing like the rest of them after a bit.
They are the common snail... not any fancy snail brand... is there a name for this species?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
My apple snails did that every once in a while too, but I always considered it a bad sign as I almost always found those snails dead within a month time. Maybe it's senility setting in and they can't figure out what is top and bottom of the tank. Just my take on it though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My snails are always eating biofilm off of my water surface. It looks quite odd. I think they take air into their shell and just chow down on the surface... Mine are ramshorns by the way.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have seen this with ramshorn snails and apple snails- I think that they get air trapped in the shell somehow. I am not sure if they use this like a swim bladder the way that fish do to move up and down in the water column or if it just happens by accident. Regardless, your snails are probably fine and once the air escapes or is released they will go back to crawling over every surface in the tank. If you really think they might be dead, get a clear drinking glass and scoop up a bit of tank water in it. Then put the snails that are floating in the glass. I don't know exactly why, but when you do this most snails will stop their floating and adhere to the sides or bottom of the glass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.