The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20 days ago I planted some HC and dwarf hair grass using the immersed method. Everything was fine until a week ago when I noticed a few leaves had turned slightly yellow. I was using plat gro iron enriched (a nutrafin product) as fertilizer. I will admit that I diluted it in much much less water than it called for but I assumed the plants would eventually soak it up. I discontinued the use of fertilizer when I noticed that more leaves were turning yellow and just continued to spray the plants with tap water with a declorinator in it. I will also admit that a few times I forgot to add the declorinator to the water...oops. Now my HC is developing tiny brown spots and the leaves then turn yellow and die. There are still many healthy green leaves but I'm afraid it will continue to worsen. I dug one of the plantlets up yesterday and found that the roots had grown because they had started to attach themselves to some of the gravel so I don't think the plant itself is dieing just the leaves. I am using flourite substrate and have a 26 W desk lamp over top of this 2.5 gallon aquarium and I spent a lot of time separating out the HC. Some of it is in quarter size clumps and some of the HC was planted each stem separately. Am I burning the plants perhaps? I'd say the bulb is about a foot and a 1/2 above the plants. Also I allowed a few snails to live in the aquarium assuming they'd either die or be eaten by w/e I decide to put in the tank. Could they be nipping at the leaves of the HC? I was planning to submerge it this weekend! I can provide pictures if necessary.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.