The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40 gal and a 75 gal with MTS and Pond/Bladder snails, not sure which. The 40 is fine, no population problems and everyone does what they are supposed to do. The 75 on the other hand is a different story. I have to hunt to find an MTS and may see 1 of the others, but the substrate is littered with empty shells. Both tanks are as the same as can be parameter wise. The only thing I can think of is I had 2 assassin snails in the 75 over a year ago, but after not seeing them for a while I figured they croaked. Maybe they are still alive and feasting on my helpful snails? Is there any way to trap, expose, or find the assassins? Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Is the 75 injected with co2? I have snails in all my tanks with no issues except my 75 which is co2 injected. The shells erode until they die and even the empty shells disappear over time. Before I just found it easier to just not keep snails in that tank I even tried filling one tray of my canister with some crushed coral/shell leftover from my saltwater tanks. That seemed to help for a while, but even all of that dissolved after a while.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don't run CO2 at all and I run crushed coral in both tanks because our water is so soft. The coral keeps the pH stable. Thanks for the idea...makes sense.

Reactions: Bandit1200
1 - 3 of 3 Posts