The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hope you guys may know the answer to my problem.
I have a pool filter sand and quartz silica sand (sand blasting) in my 180 gal. discus tank, depth 3-4 inch. and live plants.
I have tried a colony of mts snails but they all died. Recently I have added zebra nerites and for the last 3 days they do not move and stay closed. I'm afraid nerites will die soon too.
My temp is around 86, ph around 8, gh = 9 dGh.

Any ideas why these snails die? I suspect H2S build up in the substrate, could it be the reason for snails to die?

Thanks,
Oleg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not for discuses it is at the high acceptable range for them... but yes it is rather warm for snails, or most anything else for that matter

EDIT: I wouldn't lower your temperature to save the snails, I would think that the discus take priority
I can go as low as 82, would that solve the problem?
Discus will definitely take priority, but they are sub-adults so should no need that high temp.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Can't say for sure if this is adding to the problem, but MTS like to root around and sift through the substrate, and sandblasting grit is pretty sharp stuff by design. Added to the high temp it could be causing you some losses.

Feel free to add to this everyone. I'm just throwing this out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't say for sure if this is adding to the problem, but MTS like to root around and sift through the substrate, and sandblasting grit is pretty sharp stuff by design. Added to the high temp it could be causing you some losses.

Feel free to add to this everyone. I'm just throwing this out there.
I guess if it would be substrate then the snails would go up the glass. This did not happen, they just died after some time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.