The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know a lot of planted tankers don't like snails in their tanks. But I thought I would just take a moment to show what they can do :)

I recently upgraded my office betta tank from this little one gallon affair:

To this lovely 2.6 Fluval Spec III

Size comparison the day I filled it:

ANYWAY as happens sometimes with new tanks, things got slightly out of balance, and algae took over:

This happened in the first tank too and eventually resolved itself, but I was sick of looking at it, and I needed a clean-up crew in this tank anyway to clean up any pieces of food Mr. Betta misses. So I went home Friday night (3/4) collected some snails, and brought them to work with me Saturday (3/5) and dumped them in the tank. By the end of the day the snails were already making tracks in the algae (or as I call it, snail art)

When I came in again on Tuesday (3/8) it looked like a completely different tank

And by yesterday, exactly one week after adding the snails (Sat 3/12) it was even cleaner, even the plants look cleaner now!

So for anyone cursing that they can't get rid of the snails in their tank, remember, they are actually a part of a healthy ecosystem and they are helping you keep your algae at bay!!! :)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I totally agree. All 19 tanks of mine are planted and I have snails in each and every one of them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's funny, my first tank was the 2.5 gallon version of that natgeo one and considering what it was and how much I paid for it I actually really liked it! It looked nice, the filter was decent and the led was pretty bright. New tank looks great though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Garfieldnfish - glad I'm not the only one! :)

Rosieonfire - I didn't really have a problem with the tank itself for the most part, if I had gotten the 2.5g version I probably would have kept it longer. I agree the filter was good and the light was bright. However, I didn't like that the filter and light were on the same power source so you couldn't plug them in independently (which meant no timer for the lights). I made do with this because the tank faces large windows so it gets plenty of light, but when the light started turning itself on and off I got nervous about the fish getting electrocuted. So between that and wanting to give him a larger home (I was tight for $ when I bought the first one so I went for the little one) I decided it was time to upgrade. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Awesome! Another snail afficianado among us.

Panw, there are several color variants of Ramshorns snails available. Ask around here or check Aquabid.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Of coarse now that those snails are well fed you know what they are busy doing at lights out time......
Terminate as many as you can while you are ahead.
Always good to note that they will indeed increase in numbers now that they've done their jobs and eaten through their initial all-over-the-place food supply. The choice is yours, leave them be and watch the numbers decline gradually as less food becomes available or bait and remove some now.

Another point to keep in mind is that all that algae has been processed and "pooped out". So keep an eye on water quality. You may want to consider a good vacuuming of the top layer of the substrate with an extra water change or two.

I have 30 tanks. My 180G planted tank is a 270 view and would take me a week to scrape the glass. The snails in that tank are my secret weapon in making it a snap to maintain. It's been years since I scraped that glass. Wouldn't trade my snails for anything.......well almost anything, lol!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I wipe my inside glass with tyvek kitchen wipes once a week. My angels have taken to eating small snails, so they only go into my smaller tanks. But I still take out all snails close to the surface every morning in those.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there a specific snail you'll recommend? A nice looking one will be great :)
Not really, I just have boring old pond, ramshorn, and malaysian trumpet snails in my tanks. Sometimes one is a pretty color, but I don't pay much attention. The pond snails are the ones I put in this tank (mostly) that did such a great job though.

Awesome! Another snail afficianado among us.
Woohoo!

Yup, you can't get better algae eaters than snails.

Too bad I keep loaches in my large tank.
Definite bummer! Bye bye snails!

Of coarse now that those snails are well fed you know what they are busy doing at lights out time......
Terminate as many as you can while you are ahead.
Meh, they'll also help eat bits of food Mr. Betta misses and continue to keep the algae at bay. I'll let 'em do their thang. Also, I have seen the betta pestering the snails a little already, and they're pretty large, so I am thinking he'll help take care of smaller ones ;)

Another point to keep in mind is that all that algae has been processed and "pooped out". So keep an eye on water quality. You may want to consider a good vacuuming of the top layer of the substrate with an extra water change or two.
Excellent point for sure, it has already been seen to :)

I have 30 tanks. My 180G planted tank is a 270 view and would take me a week to scrape the glass. The snails in that tank are my secret weapon in making it a snap to maintain. It's been years since I scraped that glass. Wouldn't trade my snails for anything.......well almost anything, lol!
LOL :hihi: That's awesome! I am so glad to know I am not alone in my appreciation of snails :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Saw some pond/bladder snails munching away on GSA yesterday. They cleaned my 10g out so well now I'm just dumping them in my 46g and letting them do what they want. :)

Easy enough to get rid of if I wanted.

Reactions: Bushkill

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome! :) They really are pretty amazing, I'm just looking at my little 2.5g sitting here next to me at work and realizing there is almost no algae growing on my anubias anymore! There's a tiny bit of BBA on the edges but so much less than there was before. I'm thinking of removing most of the snails because I don't want them to start eating the plants!

Saw some pond/bladder snails munching away on GSA yesterday. They cleaned my 10g out so well now I'm just dumping them in my 46g and letting them do what they want. :)

Easy enough to get rid of if I wanted.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a little update for my fellow snail fans, this is how the leaves look now, except for a tiny bit of BBA on a couple leaf edges, they're totally clean!

I actually took a few of the snails out because I was afraid they would start eating the plants since they did such a good job cleaning the algae!

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I always keep snails in my planted tank, mts for my sand sifting, ramshorns, and usually bladder (but sometimes I get pond) snails too. So many people fear them but unless there is massive amounts of food (leftover fish food) I've never had issues with populations. If anything I loose them too quick as fish in the they the snails clear will eat them (even the mts). So they are my cleaning crew/escargot snacks ^^

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I always keep snails in my planted tank, mts for my sand sifting, ramshorns, and usually bladder (but sometimes I get pond) snails too. So many people fear them but unless there is massive amounts of food (leftover fish food) I've never had issues with populations. If anything I loose them too quick as fish in the they the snails clear will eat them (even the mts). So they are my cleaning crew/escargot snacks ^^
Snails are very cool creatures in their own right, and certainly earn their keep. I love em
It's so reassuring to hear how many people like snails too :) And yes, there are plenty of empty snail shells in my tank to indicate some become escargot! But there are always more to take their place, not so many that it's problematic, but enough to maintain the population and sometimes become snacks

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Just a little update for my fellow snail fans, this is how the leaves look now, except for a tiny bit of BBA on a couple leaf edges, they're totally clean!

I actually took a few of the snails out because I was afraid they would start eating the plants since they did such a good job cleaning the algae!
If you want try controlling their numbers by culling that's perfectly fine. But don't do it out of fear that they'll eat your healthy plants. While there are certainly snail species that are known plan-eaters, you'll be hard-pressed to find them in the hobby. Ramshorns, bladder, nerites, pond and trumpets have no taste for healthy plants.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.