The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think she is dead, but haven't smelled THAT UNFORGETTABLE SMELL of a dead snail. I know they play opossum at times so I want to be sure before taking her out. She is hanging out of her shell, unresponsive for 4 days in the same spot. Hasn't eaten. I gently roll her over with a bamboo skewer, nothing. Now a faint slime on her sways with the water flow. All signs point to dead, but is there any chance she's just sick?

How long does it take them to smell once they're dead?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Well if she isn't dead, she would be soon if things don't improve. But livestock should be fine, unless water quality diminishes or just old age.

Check your water parameters as the snail having issues may be a sign the water is bad. If not bad in terms of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, then maybe the GH, KH, pH and/or temperature is not at good levels for inverts.

·
Registered
181 Posts
For snails with a "trapdoor" like mystery snails (and unlike nerites) if you gently push and pull on the trapdoor part (called the operculum) a live snail will use its muscles to retract it and hold it shut. A dead snail will have a floppy operculum.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely dead. She stinks now. I'm fairly certain it was due to a mini-cycle in my 5 gal.

I put her in a 1 gal quarantine tank with an anubias on rock. Do I need to treat or disinfect the anubias before putting it back in my 5 gal?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.