The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
I suppose if I wanted to sell some snails, that would be a very good way to pick them up without me accidentally crushing their little shells under my clumsy fingers! When I switched out substrates the other day, I crushed so many snails on accident... even when I was trying to be very careful! I felt so bad... especially the ones that were still alive with their shells all crushed... ugh... I've a feeling they'll be back. :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am still not sure I follow...how do the snails enter the trap?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yes, this is very similar to a humane rabbit trap or cat trap... only those have a spring loaded bit to it that the rabbit or cat has to step on and then the gate closes. PROBABLY snails are not smart enough to realize that they're going through a trap door like most cats and rabbits. ;-)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Nice trap! Good idea!

Snails strong enough to lift up the triangular piece and go through??
Yes. Since the plastic ramp like pieces are shaped inwards, it's easy to push in for the snails, and probably not shrimps. Unless they snails are smart enough to left them once they are inside, they will surely get trapped.

I guess you just need to be careful about fish that like to dig or squeeze into tight places, like kuhli loaches.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Yasmut, your english is fine. :) Thanks for posting your ideas.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You may understand how the system works better by analysing this new picture. Yoink and C. Eddie's explanations are correct. As the rectangular pieces are inwards the snails can only pass inside but won't escape the trap.
The pieces are too light (since they are very small 1.5cmX0.5cm)and the snails easily push them.
As for the fry; they are too little and weak to raise the rectangular pieces. Besides there is no gap between the pieces. All are side by side.
With this trap, maximum 1- 1.5 cm long snails are trapped. You may design a bigger trap in order to catch bigger snails.
If you intend to make the trap bigger (if you have small fish that may enter the trap), make the pieces heavier (by using larger or heavier acrylic).
The snails are much stronger than they seem, they easily lift the pieces.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Very cool! I may built one!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts