The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a piece of driftwood in an old tank with a nice anubius growing on it.
But the old tank is infested with snails
What's a great way to move the driftwood and plant to my new tank without the snails
Some have said soak/wash in something
Others say it's not possible to get it all
What do the experts think? ;)

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Before you rip it apart, or bake or boil the wood simply kill the snails with Flubendazole wormer. No maybe it will work or maybe get most of them a soak in Flubendazole and the snails are done and the plant is not damaged.
Flubendazole and Excel (or Glut) added to a 5g bucket of water put the plant in it and the lid on then 4 days later no algae and no snails. Deal done.

Flubendazole is a plant safe parasite treatment but has to be ordered online (to my knowledge). It covers a broad range of bugs too. (not all but a bunch) *** it also kills snails but is safe for shrimp by user reports including folks here on TPT.
Velvet and Ick are also covered by a flu treatment Doc sells as little or as much as you want.
Other sources are out there in the UK and maybe others via the web but I’ve ordered from ‘the Doc’.
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This isn't trying to get rid of snails (that's almost impossible) I'm looking for a way to stop snails from crossing over form one tank to another via plant transplants

·
Registered
199 Posts
Same method applies when you get new plants

Bleach:
-Grab a gallon of tank water,
-Mix in 1-2 cups of bleach (depending on how sensitive the plant is)
-Soak it in for 5-10mins, watch the snails fall to the bottom
-Rinse it out in tap water
-Soak in dechlorinated water (triple dose your water conditioner)
-If it still smells like bleach, keep rinsing...

Potassium permanganate:
-Grab a gallon of tank water
-Mix in a teaspoon or two until the water is purple
-Soak for 10-20mins
-Rinse on tap water

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.