The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

I have a very nice 30 gallon shrimp tank going and with the addition of one plant from a member here, 2 weeks later, I have a major snail outbreak happening.

Because of the size of the shrimp, I do not want to add any loaches as they might eat the shrimp along with the snails, Lol. Is there anything I can do? I tried floating a piece of romane lettuce to attract them, but only in very small amounts attaching.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Either leave them to eat up leftover food that would normally foul your water and give you an ammonia spike, or get an assassin snail or two and they will eat the snails. Cut down on feeding as well, as the less food the snails have, the less they reproduce. They breed in accordance with available food supplies. If you do go the assassin snail route, don't get like 10 as they will eat the snails too quick and then run out of food, then you have to provide a food source for the assassins. lol. Get 1 or 2 and they will slowly keep the snail population in check. What I do for my shrimp is use a small glass bowl that I put their food in, then I can suck up any extra with a turkey baster that is left over, then it doesn't up spread all over the tank giving the snails more to eat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Assassin snails FTW!

I started with one Assassin snail and it has reproduced and now I have at least 10 in about 3 months time. They totally solved my snail problems in two of my tanks. It takes them a while, but they get it done.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Assassin snails FTW!

I started with one Assassin snail and it has reproduced and now I have at least 10 in about 3 months time. They totally solved my snail problems in two of my tanks. It takes them a while, but they get it done.
I second that. It's one of the easiest and safest ways to rid unwanted snail.

disvegas,

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If the snail outbreak just started you can easily remove any visible snails from the tank faster than they can breed. If you do this for about a week or two I'm sure you will see a noticeable difference. I have done this for several tanks with pond snails and ramshorns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.