The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have a explosion of snail in my CRS tank.

They are mainly small approximately 4-5mm and less.
I have managed to take a good picture of a few.
I was wondering if anyone could ID them for me please?

What is the best way to remove these snails without chemical warfare?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Looks like a ramshorn snail going by the curly shell rather than a "pod" like a pond snail. Snails usually adjust themselves to the amount of available food, so maybe cut down a bit on feeding. You can get an assassin snail which will eat ramshorn, pond and MTS snails. It may not take out the big ones like that but if you can manually remove the big ones and let the assassin eat the small ones, it will slowly reduce the population. The key I think, is don't go out and buy 10 assassin snails. People think, well they eat snails, I'll buy a bunch. They eat all the snails and then there is no food for them and you either have to remove them or supplement there food with something else. Buy one, and put it into your tank, slow down a bit on the feeding and the population should bring itself down over time. Snails are good are they eats extra food, clean the glass, etc.

The other thing, some people, very few, that assassin will go after a shrimp once in a blue moon. I think there is two ways to avoid this. One, don't buy 10 like I said or they will eat the snails too fast, the assassin will have a population bloom and then they will look for something to eat. Two, get the assassin snails, throw them in a container with a few ramshorn snails for a few days or some frozen bloodworms and let them eat. Adding them to a tank from a petstore, they are probably starved like most pet store fish and such, and putting 3 or 4 in a shrimp tank, they will try and eat the first thing they can find, be it a shrimp or snail. Make sure they're not hungry, then add them and they can burrow in the soil and wait for a snail instead of trying to get a shrimp. The other theory I read is, that if a shrimp is too slow and dumb to get eaten by a snail, it may not have had the best genes you wanted to pass on anyways. lol.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Assasin snail is sth you may want to consider. Get a few and they will take care of unwanted problem. no chemical, no maintanence.

disvegas,

Hi guys I have a explosion of snail in my CRS tank.

They are mainly small approximately 4-5mm and less.
I have managed to take a good picture of a few.
I was wondering if anyone could ID them for me please?

What is the best way to remove these snails without chemical warfare?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.