The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently setting up a 55 gallon low tech aquarium and received my second shipment of plants the other day. They came late at night so, being tired, I simply threw them in the tank and they are currently floating around in there. I went to clean/plant the tank today and noticed something clinging onto the glass. I did some research and think that I have a Snail Leech. From my research it seems that they are scavengers and will eat fish/snail eggs. Are they harmful in any other way? Even if they are not harmful, they are pretty gross looking and I would appreciate any input on how to get rid of them. The tank currently has NO fish in it, only plants.

Thank You- Wizzy :icon_smil

Attachments

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your "stay."

I doubt that that thing will cause any real harm. Once you put a fish (if you are) in there it'll be gone in no time at all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
150EH- Thanks for the info and the welcome! And as for my name, well one day I needed a username and BAM! it stuck. I've used it ever since. :icon_bigg

RipariumGuy- Thanks for the welcome! And I sure do hope your right.

I am currently trying to find some sort of medicine that will not harm my plants but if that doesn't work I'll probably just hope they get eaten by my fish. I am going to be putting 3 large black ghost knifes in the tank and they are predatory fish so I'm crossing my fingers.

Cool Beans- Wizzy :icon_smil

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Wow! Lucky you! I wish I had some of those to eat my snails. My red claw shrimp suddenly decided that they're too good for snails so the population is increasing.

I don't see how they could be a problem if they scavenged and ate snails. It's not like most planted tankers intentionally want to raise huge spawns of fish in their main tanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Lucky you! I wish I had some of those to eat my snails. My red claw shrimp suddenly decided that they're too good for snails so the population is increasing.

I don't see how they could be a problem if they scavenged and ate snails. It's not like most planted tankers intentionally want to raise huge spawns of fish in their main tanks.
Lol. I haven't actually confirmed if they eat snails or not, but I hope you're right in saying that they'll be beneficial. My main concern is that they may attach to my fish. If anyone else has any insight/advice on how to deal with these leeches please let me know.

Thanks- Wizzy :smile:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
take some teezers and pull it out.. u probably have more than one.. but if udon't u might get lucky :)
I did exactly that! I pulled out a few, but I know for a fact that I still have more because I saw one swimming the other day. However, I don't see them that often if at all so I think I got lucky.

Thanks- Wizzy :icon_smil

·
Registered
2 Posts
How to get rid of snail leeches!!!

To kill snail leeches do this:
· To test for snail leeches is simple ¼ teaspoon shrimp pellets will bring them out
· First remove all plants.
· Dip plant in a 50% hydrogen peroxide solution to dislodge pests by flushing with water
· Save your plants in a bucket for 4 weeks
· Remove all creatures which will die from salt being added, Rams horn, Pond snails
· Snail leeches survive Clorox and all other solutions. I know I tried all suggested chemicals
· Bring the salt level part- per-Thousand to 3 ppt with softener salt for 1 week
· Lower it to 2 ppts for 2 weeks
· The last week, do the above test.
· If no leeches then change out with freshwater during this last week to 0 ppt salt.
How this works is the apparently the leeches ball up in a protective cocoon and starve to death.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.