The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a snail invasion on my hands and the problem is that the young snails look almost exactly like the MTS I have in my planted tank too....

I have heard that floating a piece of lettuce overnight is a good way to attract snails onto so you can toss the lettuce and thus the snails with it...

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
^ yep. That's a good way.

Then cut down on feeding. Overfeeding = snails. Many many snails....or you can get a dwarf puffer to take care of non-MTS snails.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dwarf puffer sounds good to me I just got to find one. I have been reducing the overfeeding on my tank but it just seems that the snails are eating away at my plants. specifically my stem plants that are faster growing in nature.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet! will my fish eat the lettuce? I guess it wouldn't matter if they did but still curious. and should I use regular iceberg or a more exotic romaine?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
by they'll do you mean fish or snails? and what is blanching? I assume just boiling it right?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Both - the snails will be all over it and veggie eater fish will nibble on it too. Blanching is just to soften it up, to break up the cell walls. Drop it in boiling water for just a bit until it gets soft. You can do the same thing by freezing and thawing, that will soften it up too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet what about using old lettuce?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Although I don't mind snails, I have noticed that when I drop in a veggie tab, with in a half hour every piece is covered with snails. It's like crack.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will try old and new lettuce tomorrow! and post it here!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a yoyo loach and he took care of the biggest of the snails, but I still had literally thousands of tiny ones. I tried the lettuce thing without luck.

This was my last resort secret weapon - it was a pain in the rear to do and was probably extremely stupid, but it worked.

I took the business end of my gravel cleaner off and used the tube like a vacuum cleaner on any visible snails. I kept one hand on the tube's exit ready to stop the thing in case any fish got too curious. I had to do it every night (because snails hide during the day) for a week, but I have significantly less snails now than before.

I also had to remove some plants to wash off any snail eggs that were attached.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unfortunately I didn't get around to the lettuce today. maybe tomorrow I am getting really busted in the chops with school right now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts