The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up today to find at least a dozen tiny snails in my tank!! I am assuming they were hitch hikers on my plants or something? Not sure what kind of snails they are..but does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of them, without using chemicals??

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you don't have shrimp or other inverts then you can drop a copper penny in there and it should kill it. I started using CO2 and for some reason most of my pond snails have died off (prolly from lack of algae). I used to have a hundred and now I have about 2.

The more guaranteed way would be to drop a piece of lettuce and let them start eating it and take it out with them on it. Won't totally eliminate them all but will curb your "infestation".

Lastly, you can get an assassin snail and it will hunt and eat them all (but you will still have an assassin snail after)...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
... ..but does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of them, without using chemicals??
If you don't have shrimp or other inverts then you can drop a copper penny in there and it should kill it. ...
Using a copper penny to kill snails would be adding a chemical, something the OP doesn't want to do.

The other methoes of manual removal should work fine. I've gotten rid of snails a few times that way. You need to remove every snail you can find. Then wait a day or two and remove all the ones you didn't find and repeat this several more times. From then on remove any snails anytime you see one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I have shrimp in the tank, so copper isn't an option. I guess i will just have to do it manually..i will have to try the lettuce tho. I have spinach leaves, will that work?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi
A dozen snails is not that much. I would actually do like what DaveK had mentioned.
I had uncountable in my 80 gal and it was neatly fixed just by adding 2 Assassin snails. After that, i just gave them away to my friends.
Cheers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
AND don't forget to look around for any egg sacs in your tank! Getting rid of the snails already crawling around in there is all fine and dandy until you have a bunch of egg sacs hatch...

They look like clear blobs of jelly with tiny white dots in them - about the size of a pea or slightly smaller. If its on the glass, scrape it off. If its on a plant leaf, sometimes its easiest to just clip off the leaf.

Snails are like rats. Unfortunately, chances are if you see a dozen of them, there are actually far more in there including eggs. Just keep removing them and their eggs.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
You may also find the eggs are in places you don't know about like the filter? I had trumpet snails that sneaked in with a bucket of fish and they were a real nuisance until I got fish that ate them but there are still those who live in the sponge in the canister filters. They seem to only stay there when tiny but they are a real pain when I go to squeeze out the sponge. Apparently the filter is the only place where my African cichlids can't get to them so they only last in that spot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i managed to find and remove 15 of them. I am sure there are more that I can't see or get to because of my scape and don't really see anything that could be egg sacs (judging from what I've googled) It's only lightly planted right now with dwarf baby tears and weeping moss tied to branches..I tried to check the plants before I put them in, but I must have missed something!

The tank has only been up and running for 3 weeks but the first sign of these creatures was yesterday. I have mesh over the filter intake as I didn't want my shrimp getting sucked up, so hopefully this has prevented any from getting in the canister.

So where could i get these assasin snails or something that would eat these things? Do the assasin snails breed like wildfire, thus causing a snail infestation of a different kind?? Also, here are some pictures of the hitch-hikers..any idea what type they are?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.