The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my first post! Im havin a huge snail problem, some is fine, i got lots , its like a moving substrate! I need help!!!

I'll give as much info as possible

90 gallon planted-swords,crypts,anubias baby, anubias,1 unknown
6-medium assorted angels
2 baby pleco
1 aquaclear 110 low to high (stock sponge/pillow foam/bio rings)
1 penguin 400 custom media, low to high (old fluval 405 sponge/pillow foam/2x bio rings on each side)
4 35 watt t8's run 2 for daytime with small peaks of 4 bulbs on
0 ferts
Feed only assorted frozen foods
15 gallon water changes 1-2 twice a week

I dont know what to do!!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
It happens. Either try and trap them with food, like squash or cucumber or something, put it in a net, leave it overnight, and in the morning take out the net and cull the snails. Or you can get an assassin snail or two.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ugh, i had this problem...same as you. The substrate looks like it was moving. And at night, i wouldnt even want to turn on the light b/c the walls would be covered with snails. I was able to curtail this problem by being very careful about how much i fed my fish. I made sure there was no waste so there would be nothing for the snails. Presently, there is a host of empty and dissolving shells at the bottom of my tank. But this in addition to the trapping method should work for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem in my 90gal 4 weeks ago, and i added 4 assassin snails. I don't have any small snails any more.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The bait and catch works well, although, you shouldn't be throwing them into the trash like has been recommended to you. That would be VERY irresponsible of any aquarist to do, due to the fact that some of the snails may survive the trip some how. Your best bet would to be to trap them and sell them on S-N-S here on this site. There are always people that want them to keep, and others to feed them to something. I cannot believe your Angels aren't eating them. Mine LOVE snacking on the eggs and snails alike, and keep the population under control for me.

After catching all you can, scrub off any eggs you see, and scrub any wood, glass, and rocks. A pipe cleaner can be used to scrub the plants a little bit, or use your fingers to get any eggs that you find. Then give your tank a good gravel vac. The process will likely need to be repeated until you stop seeing the snails in your tank. As jasa stated, watching how much you feed your fish helps, along with keeping algae and wastes down in the tank will definitely aid in getting rid of your problem. good luck.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't go adding a bunch of Assassins either. They will take care of your problem, but if you keep a bunch you will need to feed them. That would entail getting some more snails for them to eat. One, or maybe 2, should be all you will need or you will find yourself with an infestation of Assassin Snails:)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
What is your pH? How hard is the water? Do you use CO2? I think snail can't thrive in low pH/soft water environment....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
-ok, i dont think im going to add more snails to rid of snails, seems like a more natural way but, i'll try your bait n catch, and i'll make fish food outta them, so not to intergrate species, even though im in canada, and its end of october so they'll probably freeze!
-good thinking on the eggs, gotta kill the problem before it starts,
-this all started from a single plant from petsmart. all my otherplants were ordered online from aquaticplantcentral, not a single snail.
-and no i've never seen my angels attack snails, i've seen em clean snails off plants leaves that they were prepping for breeding though.
-thanks for the swift assistance n ideas guys
-i'll put up a picture, of snails ignoring 4 lights being on, and still coming out on the glass, in the picture they're climbing up the glass in a horde, below the climb is a pool of snails(not shown)

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
yep...thats a snail problem all right - lol.

I've used a credit card to scrape them off the glass into a plastic cup or container. To bait them, I just sink a large tupperware lid with a rock and scatter a few sinking pellets on it - then remove the whole thing the next morning.

About 6 months ago a local petsmart had a horrible snail problem. Every tank in the place looked just like that (except the tank with the clown loaches)

·
Registered
120 Posts
-ok, i dont think im going to add more snails to rid of snails, seems like a more natural way but, i'll try your bait n catch, and i'll make fish food outta them, so not to intergrate species, even though im in canada, and its end of october so they'll probably freeze!
-good thinking on the eggs, gotta kill the problem before it starts,
-this all started from a single plant from petsmart. all my otherplants were ordered online from aquaticplantcentral, not a single snail.
-and no i've never seen my angels attack snails, i've seen em clean snails off plants leaves that they were prepping for breeding though.
-thanks for the swift assistance n ideas guys
-i'll put up a picture, of snails ignoring 4 lights being on, and still coming out on the glass, in the picture they're climbing up the glass in a horde, below the climb is a pool of snails(not shown)
Holy shart.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh man, that pic is awesome! During the day no less... You could try adding a dwarf puffer if you can find them. They are pretty fun to watch hunt and it would keep it busy for a while.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I had trumpet snails like that a few months ago. They come out like that when its feeding time. I just used a net and ran it up the glass under them and scooped out lots out that way. Then I added assassin snails and all the trumpets are gone now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
WAIT!!! Don't kill them yet. These are Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS). They are actually recommended for planted tanks because the don't eat plants. They only eat decaying plant matter, algae, and rotting food. During the day the tunnel through the substrate helping aerate the substrate and at night they come out to feed. They are also a good indicator of poor water quality because if the water becomes toxic they will climb out of the tank. They also like the harder water which is needed to keep their shell hard. My only guess to get rid of them is to get some fish which eat them or start sneaking out at night while they're out and scoop them out after baiting with something like a boiled piece of cucumber.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The water in my area is on the hard side, but nothin crazy, i don't use co2, i used to run 4 2litre diy systems, just got lazy n stopped. I heard salt kills em, but it'll the plants too right

1 - 20 of 32 Posts