The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These snails must have come in with some plants and I know they are what is "doing in" my Blyxa Japonica. Here they are at the scene of the crime:

I assume that they are just the common "pest snails" that I've been victimized by in the past? They're different than the ones I have seen though. Their shells are more unique that the others I have had on an individual basis; some are spotted, some solid, some transparent. Here are some photos.

Damage to the Blyxa

I sank some lettuce to the bottom of the tank so hopefully I can get them out that way, then they can be put in one of the other tanks where they won't be a bother.

·
Tírëd Äßóût ╦σ RÉ├írë.
4,777 Posts
Common Ramshorn. They don't eat plants unless they are starving. They do chew. Perhaps you have Colombian ramshorn snail.

Read further here

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer and the link Joraan.
Well what can I feed them to get them to stop munching my plants?
At first I thought they'd clear up the algae on the glass but they seem to prefer the Blyxa. Little buggers are kinda cute though.

·
Tírëd Äßóût ╦σ RÉ├írë.
4,777 Posts
Seems they are Colombian ramshorn snail as they are munching Blyxa, there is nothing you can feed them to stop eating plant. Best thing is to use trap as it's explained in this thread.

I have few Common ramshorn in my tanks they don't bother any plants unless plants are already dead.

·
Tírëd Äßóût ╦σ RÉ├írë.
4,777 Posts
Assassin eats max 1 snail a day..want to wait that long...before they eat all your plants?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.