The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple weeks I've started seeing a few tiny snails in my tank. I'm not quite sure where they came from since I haven't added anything except a retail-sealed thermometer to the tank since July. I think they are pond/bladder snails but I'm not sure.

I've attached a pic of the first one that was big enough to show any markings. It's about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch long. My main concern about them being there is that they may increase the bioload since, as the picture illustrates, they seem to defecate a huge amount.

I've mostly only seen them on my floaters, but I have seen one smaller ones on the glass.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yup, bladder snails.
Like miataisalwaystheanswer said, there were probably eggs that hitched on plants and the babies have now just become visible. I had some that came in a clump of Java moss. It took about a month or so before I could actually see the less than 1/8 inch babies.
I let them be, they help to clear algae from the leaves. Yes they poop, I see it as the algae being recycled into nutrients for the plants.
Snail numbers should not explode if you don't over feed your tank livestock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts