The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Agreed.

They are good for sandy textured substrates, as they burrow and sift preventing gas build up. Their population can get out of hand if you have no fish that eat them and you overfeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you have one and it didn't just recently find its way to your tank then you probably have a thousand more. And they can and do breed out of control in a heavily planted tank with zero food added.

Assassins are the only cure I've found. They're slow to make a dent in the population but can eventually rid the tank of MTS. MTS can live through most other assaults people try to use on them.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Some people like them. I actually sought them out. I started regretting that when they got out of control. I've yet to see any benefit to having them. I've read that anaerobic bacteria is something that most of us will ever experience. My tanks still have algae. I just hate the things after dealing with them for years.

The people giving quick easy solutions to getting rid of them are either just repeating what they've read without personal experience or, for whatever reason, don't have them breeding out of control.

I see people doing RAOKs for ten babies they found floating and have to laugh. In a 55 plant only tank with no food added I've got hundreds of babies floating every day.

The assassins are in that tank now taking care of business. You'll hear positive reports about them, but I thought I'd let you know there is another side to the story.

·
Registered
78 Posts
MTS will survive anything. I broke down a tank when I moved, stored the gravel in a trash can in a storage unit for 6 months, bleached the gravel before adding it back and still had them come back. It was in a cichlid tank with no live plants so the eggs must have stayed viable after all that.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've had similar experiences. Mine survived months in a bucket in the garage. They don't lay eggs though, they have live teeny babies. That's part of why they're hard to get rid of. You can't just remove the eggs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 40b with 2-3 inches of black diamond sand blast sand and whenever I stir the sand there is as many 1/4" MTS as sand. I see no adults but they must be there. I see no down side to them, I rarely see any and unlike several of my other tanks I get no gas buildup in the sand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.