The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have had a few snails pop up in the tank. I offed 2 ramshorns. But have since found 2 blue short spirals. They are not MTS. They have spent most of their time eating the algea on the glass and some on the plants. It is brown algea with some hair. I can not take a pic for they are too small.

The only thing I come up with is apple but that is not possible since they had to come in the plants I bought. They were all submerged and I knmow what apple snail eggs look like in person. I highly doubt they are nerites. I bought my plants from aquariumplants.com. Plus I got some from a local member here but they were all stems, so I do not think they came with them.

Anyone have any ideas on these 2 snails?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It's hard to tell with tiny snails because their color and shape can change fairly substantially as they age, but if I had to guess I'd go with pond or bladder snails with a grayish coloring. There might be some exotic species that fits the bill better, but when you hear hooves, look for horses not zebras. :)

If they are eating algae, more power to them.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If they look like a small spiral, they're a baby ramshorn, baby ramshorns lay flat like a spiral, not like an adult ramshorn
Agreed entirely if the snail is flat. I had a different idea in my head about the description of the snail as a spiral. The OP described apple snails, nerites, MTS, etc as possibilities they had excluded so I was considering spiral to mean that general form of shell.

What does spiral mean?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a ramshorn. I am starting to belive it is an apple for it looks just like that with sprial on side. Whatever they are they are growing fast. I had a good look at them both and one really does look like an apple. Must be one that lays eggs underwater. The other good be ibut it is too hard to tell yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.