The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a bunch of plants tonight and this guy hitchhiked. He moves vary fast! Can anyone ID it? Is it safe for plants, shrimp, other snails, fish?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'm just shocked how fast it can move. Will my assassins end up killing it or should I try to rehome?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a hold of the store today. They said mystery snail. So far I do not see any plant damage, just a large amount of the dead plants gone, which I don't mind! Will keep a close eye on it for a while.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yep. Mystery Snail aka pomacea diffusa. Part of the apple snail family. The good part. like you said they do not eat live plants only dead plants or plants dying. Make sure to feed it there are stories out there that they do eat live plants when hungry enough.

Shrimp pellets, veggie pellets from ken's fish or even blanched veggies

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With how much I saw it eat last night, I assume that it contributes to the bio load greatly. Is this correct?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Unfortunately yes the bio load will be increased. They do nothing but eat, poop and sleep. They are also known as the laziest snail of the apple snail family. Said the applesnail.net site.

If you have another then add in mating to the list lol. Males will mate with any gender.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lazy? This guy was cruising around all over my tank last night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.