The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what type of snails these are? They were discovered living in my tank and we don't own any snails. I expect they came in on a plant that I added about a month ago.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone tell me what type of snails these are? They were discovered living in my tank and we don't own any snails. I expect they came in on a plant that I added about a month ago.
Thanks in advance!
I should say, they are quite small still - smaller than the tip of your pinkie finger.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
They breed readily. In my experience they aren't quite a bad as pond snails but I'm sure others have had the opposite experience. They're very common. The larger more colorful varieties are highly prized among snail lovers. The smallest ones are pest snails that clog filters and annoy people. Those ones look like normal ramshorns, not the pest ones.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They breed readily. In my experience they aren't quite a bad as pond snails but I'm sure others have had the opposite experience. They're very common. The larger more colorful varieties are highly prized among snail lovers. The smallest ones are pest snails that clog filters and annoy people. Those ones look like normal ramshorns, not the pest ones.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yep, ramshorn snails! They are the larger type and the one on the left is a leopard ramshorn snail! (just a color difference)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, ramshorn snails! They are the larger type and the one on the left is a leopard ramshorn snail! (just a color difference)
Do you know if they eat shrimp? Suddenly, I'm missing a bunch of baby shrimp. Of course, it could be my Corey's. Every now and then they feast on my little red shrimp and lay eggs a week or so later. They also eat their own babies when they hatch out unless I separate them so I'm not sure if they are lacking in something in their diet. I'm more likely to overfeed than under.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I used to breed pink ramshorn snails and I never had them attack anything living. Well, the only way I had them attack living plants, was if they were starving and even then, they would only eat the tender new growth tips of plants. (And yeah, never a good idea to bring any living animal near starving, I had issues to deal with at that time.) Ramshorn snail will, however, eat dead shrimp or fish, but I've never known them to kill.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought I saw someone else post a Snail PSA about moss coming from Aquatic Arts with snails. I cannot find it now but was hoping someone can point me to it.

Oh, I just found it - it was not snails but zebra-mussels.

I also just got this notice from Amazon:
The product you received as a result of your order for Aquatic Arts 6 Marimo Family Pack: 2 Giant Marimo Balls (2 inch Diameter), 2 Medium Marimo (1.5 inch), 3 Small aka Nano Marimo (1 inch) may contain zebra mussels, which are an invasive species that can result in environmental harm. For more details, please refer to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) website at Destroy! Don't Dump! - Zebra Mussel Disposal. and https://www.fws.gov/fisheries/ANS/zebra-mussel-disposal.pdf
If you still have this product, we urge you to stop using it and destroy and dispose of it in accordance with the instructions included on the USFWS website. If you purchased this item for someone else, please notify the recipient immediately and let them know they should destroy and dispose of the item in accordance with USFWS instructions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts