The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a hitchhiker in my 20g long. They appeared after I got some Rotala nenjenshen. I don't know if these are safe snails or bad ones, I've pulled out 5 so far.

Any help on identifying these would be greatly appreciated. Would also like to know if I can just let them be, will they overpopulate?

http://youtu.be/0jm6Ip4i9r8

·
Registered
795 Posts

Originally Posted by AquaAurora
They will not eat healthy plants but they will eat dead plant matter, clean your glass, and leftover food. They are a great indicator of you overfeeding your other aquarium stock; too much food= explosion in snail population. Many people do not like them and assume that snails eating damaged/dieing plant matter is them destroying healthy parts of a plant.
If you do not want them anymore its easy enough to squish them against the glass. Some loach species eat them as we'll as dwarf puffers but the latter tend not to do well in community tanks. You can prevent new ones from being introduced to your tank by doing a bleach or peroxide dip (very diluted, mostly water) of new plants before they go in the tank.
I currently have snails in my planted tanks though I've moved most of them to a driftwood soaking bin and toss in dead aquatic plants to build up the # for future dwarf puffers.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick help!

Removed 5 in two weeks, they hang out mostly on the front of the aquarium glass. Kinda annoying and not so pretty.

I'll remove them as I see them, good to know they aren't harmfully though.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
nyxkitten>

Thanks for posting that, I had assumed pond and bladder snails were the same.

Was wondering what was going on with the snailzilla in my current tank. I think it's the biggest occupant. :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
nyxkitten>

Thanks for posting that, I had assumed pond and bladder snails were the same.

Was wondering what was going on with the snailzilla in my current tank. I think it's the biggest occupant. :)
Heh, I think most of us just get used to calling 'em all pond snails as a quick short hand, "pond" is just so much more familiar than "bladder" and the bladder snails are the more common.

I LOVE my pond snails, especially the way the light spots in their feet and horns shine like embedded glitter with the light behind 'em.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I don't mind having pond snails, they're part of a good cleanup crew. They also tend to blend in pretty well with gravel and rocks, so I don't see them as much.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have two of these guys still but they blend in so well I cannot find em. Every so often I spot them, while I'm getting ready to remove them they dissapear.

For snails they move pretty fast in 15 seconds. after some reserch I found this "Bladder snails are very fast, taking in account that they are snails, as one can clearly see in an aquarium, when they crawl through the water at an amazing speed."

Doesn't help that I have new gravel that's the same color of their shell haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts