The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone could recommend a type of snail for me. I have a 75g tank with sand substrate. I've been told that some of them are great at keeping the sand stirred up. But, I've also heard that some can overpopulate the tank. Are there any breeds that help the sand but are'nt sex crazed maniacs?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't know about "helping the sand"- my substrate is black Flourite, but any nerite snails you get won't breed in freshwater, but do a great job of tank cleaning (especially the larger types like zebras and tigers). They are also really cool looking, but they don't live all that long 1-1 1/2 years. You can find them at InvertzFactory or through Ebichua (a fellow forum member).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Thank you. I assume its ok for them to dig around in the substrate if there are plant roots in there? And, are they ok with other tank mates? I have 4 mollies, a bunch of small tetras, and 12 Amano shrimp.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Trumpet snails will burrow through the sand. I haven't kept them since they are one of the ones that breeds like crazy. I've kept brigs as well which also can burrow into the sand, but nearly as often.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have olive nerite snails. They do not burrow into the substrate which I believe is what you are looking for the snails to do.
Malaysian Trumpet Snails do this naturally very well.
They can populate the tank easily, but it's also easy to control their population.

I recently read that assassin snails burrow, but I can't confirm that as I do not own any. You might want to research them.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snail) is the snail for sand. No other snail burrows as deep nor as far. That's what they do, burrow, burrow and more burrowing. I don't have a problem with them being in a planted tank.

They do multiply like rabbits if you over feed your tank. Get an assassin snail or two and they will keep your population in check. Not to many or they will eat all the MTS.

Nerites, assassins, brigs, rams, ponds, those flat spiral ones do not "burrow" they may dig into the substrate at times but only far enough to cover themselves.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I just ordered 6 Nerites. They can help with the algea. I would still like to get some MTS, for the sand. Lnb, I guess you're saying that the assassin snails will "assassinate" excess MTS, assuming I dont put too many of them in?
Also, does anyone know if there are any special acclimation procedures for snails?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I just ordered 6 Nerites. They can help with the algea. I would still like to get some MTS, for the sand. Lnb, I guess you're saying that the assassin snails will "assassinate" excess MTS, assuming I dont put too many of them in?
Also, does anyone know if there are any special acclimation procedures for snails?
MTS are the favorite food of Assassins. They find them most yummy. If you put in one Assassin and you have a zillion MTS. The Assassin will be extremely happy eating the MTS. I will not eat all the MTS, it just can't keep up with the MTS reproduction levels. It's kind of a balance.

I have MTS, 1 Assassin and a Nerite in a 5g RCS tank. The larger MTS are gone but the really tiny baby ones are still climbing the glass. Still to tiny to be eaten.

I am cruel and find snails to be extremely hardy. I just plop them in the tank. Soft water is a problem for their shells but I have not had a problem with the MTS in that respect. It is an issue with the Nerites and Assasins.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Lnb. Will the assassin leave the Nerites alone? I also read that if they get REALLY hungry, they may go after shrimp. I have 12 Amano's that are all fully grown. I dont think the assassin's would go after them, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts