The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
I just got home from vacation. Before I left, I had a bit of a snail issue. Not a big deal, just annoying. I could hand pick out the pond snails and the MTSs (I left a few of them in to help clean the substrate). The ones that were really annoying me were the ramshorn.

Well, that minor annoyance has become a real problem. I have shrimp in the tank, so I have to be careful what treatments I use. I don't want to add any more fish

What would you all suggest? I have heard assassin snails are effective but I worry they will get too big for my tank and they will eat the shrimp

10g freshwater
20g filter
13w LED
50w heater

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yea bait and remove is the best option, killing that many snails will definitely swing around your water parameters. Start feeding the shrimp in a cup, the snails will slowly make their way in there. Or use the good ol, cucumber/zucchini on the bamboo skewer technique. Floating a peice of lettuce works sometimes too. I'd start smashing every little egg sack you see.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I sink zucchini on a spoon or rubber band a piece of lettuce to a rock and sink it a few nights per week for my pleco. In the morning there are usually snails snacking on it. If they are getting out of hand for some reason, I will pull it out and throw them away or take them to the local fish store. They grow them out and sell them for $3 a piece.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have tried many methods to get rid of snails. There will always be snails in your tank. Bait and remove is a good way to keep the numbers down.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some I can handle. Over the week I was gone it got to the point of more than that.

I don't have any cucumber sitting around. You think a slice of Kiwi will work or will they ignore it? Worse, will it hurt my water quality?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.