The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This won't work for those of you with shrimp and other very small fish, but I have a very heavily planted 10g that I am using for a live bearer maternity tank and it became just loaded with pond snails. I researched solutions and found chemical and other solutions such as assassin snails and loaches, but before I could do anything I had to remove my live bearers to make room to isolate an overly aggressive African Peacock. Within 3-4 days it ate all the snails and their eggs! The snails were literally 1/2" thick over 1/3 of the tank. He was a very well fed fish!! It has been 10 days now since I took him out and not a sign of a snail. I had forgot that I used to feed snails to my cichlids many many years ago.

The tank has been set again as a maternity tank and I wanted some snails to help clean up the debris I can't vacuum because babies are right down into the gravel. I was at my LFS today and they gave me at least 100 assorted snails out of one of their tanks. Most were <1/4" in size. I dropped most in the 10g but dropped a dozen or so in my 5g that I have 1m and 4f Bettas in. The Bettas had a feeding frenzy and all I have are empty shells in the 5g. I also just looked in the 10g and in the adult side the snails are gone and the only snails I have left are in the side of the tank sectioned off for the fry by a mesh divider. Apparently the Molly's and Swordtails ate well as well.

IME any of the carnivores will keep snails in check or eliminate them. Like I said, it wont work for those of you who keep shrimp or other delicate fish, but if you can move them for a few days borrow an Oscar or other cichlid and I am sure your snail problem will be gone.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You're wrong. An oscar will do nothing to snails. I have a peacock bass. His tank is full of snails also. Just because it eats meat does not mean that it will eat snails. People recomend loaches or assasins because we know that they will eat snails. Also, this kind of snail control will not eradicate them. If you remove the snail control, the snails are sure to come back. You can only limit the numbers. If it were this easy, everybody would be snail free if they wanted to be. I recently broke down my shrimp tank to truely eradicate them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.