The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, we would also need to know the tank size and the type of snails you’ve got. it’s usually not a great idea to introduce a fish to solve a temporary problem. So you should think about how the animal would fit in with your plans for the tank.

·
Registered
164 Posts
In all honesty, if it’s the common pond/bladder snail your referring to they will disappear in their own without food. That only happens when you effectively maintain your tank by removing dead leaves/plants and not over feeding your fish, meaning feed enough that it disappears and it doesn’t disappear ink your plants or sit at the bottom.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Assuming you are adding a fish to an aquarium that already has fish (as opposed to introducing a fish into an aquarium with no other fishes). Then your best bet is likely going to be a loach of some kind. Which loach you get will depend greatly on your temperature, water parameters, and what else is in the tank. Other options to deal with snails include setting traps, and redoing a tank.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What other livestock is in the tank?
Just a community tank. Some neon Tetras and other tetras of the same side, Cory catfish, the biggest fish is probably a rainbow fish.

Yeah, we would also need to know the tank size and the type of snails you’ve got. it’s usually not a great idea to introduce a fish to solve a temporary problem. So you should think about how the animal would fit in with your plans for the tank.
75 gallon community planed tank.

Snails have been a problem for years and years in this tank.

The type of snail is nothing in particular. They were hitch hikers when I purchase some aquarium plant. I'm not sure how to identify them but I think they are probably the most common snail in aquariums. They are relatively small snails. Almost microscopic when small and sort of bb size when older. Unremarkable shape, color or size .

If you buy a snail eating fish keep in mind that you have to feed it after your snai
YO-YO LOACH..they will take care of them in no time
This seems to be the type of fish I am looking for.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I added a dozen Botia sidthimunki to my 75 a year or two ago to eliminate snails and would do it again in a heartbeat. Lovely fish, and they eliminated all snails quickly (week or two).

I would not recommend assassin snails, as they are an invasive risk in many areas, and would do irreparable and catastrophic harm to aquatic ecosystems if they were to establish.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I added a dozen Botia sidthimunki to my 75 a year or two ago to eliminate snails and would do it again in a heartbeat. Lovely fish, and they eliminated all snails quickly (week or two).

I would not recommend assassin snails, as they are an invasive risk in many areas, and would do irreparable and catastrophic harm to aquatic ecosystems if they were to establish.

This looks like a great selection also! I am somewhat limited to what I can get at the local Petco and pet supermarket.

My local petco has downsized its aquarium fish selection to like 1/3 the size it use to be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have pygmy corydoras, and do you guys think they eat snail eggs? I have snails too, and was wondering if technically they could get enough to eat and live healthily off of the biofilm, algae, infusoria, and snail eggs that naturally occur in a heavily planted tank. I do feed them occasionally just to make sure they are still getting a bit of protein, but they seem incredibly healthy in that tank. I have a bunch more that will come out of quarantine soon that are not looking nearly so good as those guys, and yes I feed them too, it's just not as established of a tank, and has some tannins in it, which seem to inhibit the algae/biofilm.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I have pygmy corydoras, and do you guys think they eat snail eggs? I have snails too, and was wondering if technically they could get enough to eat and live healthily off of the biofilm, algae, infusoria, and snail eggs that naturally occur in a heavily planted tank. I do feed them occasionally just to make sure they are still getting a bit of protein, but they seem incredibly healthy in that tank. I have a bunch more that will come out of quarantine soon that are not looking nearly so good as those guys, and yes I feed them too, it's just not as established of a tank, and has some tannins in it, which seem to inhibit the algae/biofilm.
They won't eat snails. If they're healthy it sounds like you're doing things right. How much to feed them has a lot of variables like how many there are, how big the tank is and what the rest of the fauna is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts