The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a fish that would enjoy my bladder snails but leave my dwarf shrimp and nerites alone.

Perhaps asking a lot but in my new tank I got a ton of hitchhikers along with one of my big plant orders.

I am pulling them out but would rather get a loach of some kind to help out.

Any well mannered, shrimp compatible fish out there to recommend?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Any fish that is small enough and has a small mouth that cannot put a shrimp in their mouths are fishes that will do fine for you, notably ember tetras, neon tetras. CPDs comes to mind.

·
Registered
81 Posts
pull the bladders out as you see them, baiting with some green veg can help, it's not as bad as you may think providing you keep on top of it, once you've removed the mature ones any new born that appear can just be squished against the glass, kill em before they breed and you're free of them before long

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any fish that is small enough and has a small mouth that cannot put a shrimp in their mouths are fishes that will do fine for you, notably ember tetras, neon tetras. CPDs comes to mind.
Thanks @Raith.

I am good with fish that will not eat shrimp but I need to also add "will eat snails" to the mix!

Bump:
pull the bladders out as you see them, baiting with some green veg can help, it's not as bad as you may think providing you keep on top of it, once you've removed the mature ones any new born that appear can just be squished against the glass, kill em before they breed and you're free of them before long
That is reassuring and has been my current plan. A lot of them congregate around the pellets I drop for the bottom feeders so I hoover them up. Others I pull off of the glass.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Thanks @Raith.

I am good with fish that will not eat shrimp but I need to also add "will eat snails" to the mix!

You might just pull them because there's no way you can find fish that will actively hunt snails but won't touch your shrimp, even the smallest, pea puffers come to mind and they do attack shrimp that is their own size that I have seen. :/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts