The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking in my tank and saw a snail latched onto the head of one my crystal shrimp. The shrimp was still kicking its legs though and wasn't dead. I'm not sure if the shrimp was almost dead and the snail latched on, because normally you would think a shrimp would be fast enough to get away from an impending snail. I think they're just pond snails, they're in my tanks from plants. Their shells are clear but I read that could be from the low pH (6.4) and the low kH/gH (1,4). Should I try and scoop them out and get a few assassin snails in there? I understand if the shrimp was dead, then clean the tank but it was still kicking. It didn't make it after I scooped it and got the snail off, but did the snail sense the shrimp was almost dead or are they another kind of snail that likes to eat shrimp brains?

I know sometimes shrimp die and we don't know why, but I don't want the snails in my tank eating my crystals, they are expensive enough as it is.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Your shrimp was dying. I have kept assassins with my shrimp for a long time. I have never seen an assassin go for a live shrimp. If a shrimp dies they will eat it other than that I wouldnt worry

·
Banned
943 Posts
If a shrimp cant get a snail off then its not in good health. My shrimps look like they teleport when evading things.
I have to chuckle at this because its true. Im picturing in my mind syfy effects with a shrimp teleporting lol.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I believe that assassin snails do use venom to kill other snails, but I'm not certain. If that's the case, I can easily imagine an adult shrimp being stung. I'm not saying, or even suggesting, that that actually happened here or in anyone else's case, just that it's not wildly out of the realm of possibilities.

As far as how a snail could possibly catch up to a shrimp, well, they aren't the smartest of creatures, basically just aquatic roaches...

A snail stealing food from an RCS

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are just pond snails though I think, so I assume the shrimp was laying on its back already just barely twitching and the snail got to it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I didn't know they have "stingers"?
Its been speculated that they do based on watching how they hunt. They use the long skinny thing that sticks out (Sorry, don't know the correct name) to sting their prey. Often they'll whack a snail with it, and then wait while the victim snail slows down or dies, and then they move in to eat it. Do a google search, there's a number of threads out there discussing Assassin Snails stinging shrimp that walk by, as well as Nerite and other larger snails dieing after being stung.

Not claiming to be an expert, that's just a summary of what I read on here and other message boards.

·
Registered
472 Posts
LOL I make voices for my snail when it's going after other snails with it's tube out... I picture it sounding like a dalek lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.