The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good snail eater for my open tank. I don´t want to get loaches since they are quite expensive and likely to jump out.
Do you have any suggestions for a good snail eater that will not be likely to jump out? Are there perhabs some species of loaches that are not big jumpers?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
It's only been a few days, but my new Chain Loaches have almost cleared the tank of a lot of small snails. Very entertaining fish. So far they've shown no desire to leap out of the tank.

AB

·
Registered
740 Posts
AB- I have also aquired three dwarf chain loaches within the past week. I inititally saw a big reduction in the number of small pond snails, but it seems like they're making a comeback in the last couple of days. Probably because the chain loaches are filling up on the other available food (which I can't stop feeding or I'll starve my cories). I would go with assassins, but I'm afraid they'd go after my smaller nerites, too.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Toast - I don't have cories. So far I've limited the cleanup crew to just Otos and Chains so I haven't had to manage a conflict like that. Maybe you can reduce their food for a short while. The Chains seem so active, maybe they'll get back to the snails quickly, before the cories suffer.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll give assassins a try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a green spotted puffer in a 55 gallon tank. The puffer was about 2 inches long and constantly nipped my 6 inch albino oscar, polypterus senegalis, and plecotsomas. The polypterus suffered so badly I moved him to another tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes i would also recomend the dwarf puffers. they will your snails over time. they might not eat them all for weeks or a month depending on the snail population. i have had a lot of fun keeping these fish. they have alot of personality and are fun to watch them hunt snails. they might nip fins on some fish if they are slow moving. if the tank is heavily planted they will be less likley to do so due to their vision being distracted by plants. also a thing to consider is when your snail population runs out you will have to still feed them live food. they dont accept anything thats not live. i supplement mine with live blackworms and feed them plucked snails from another tank. very acceptable tankmates for these fish are bumble bee gobies, ottos, and shrimp with no problems.

·
Registered
133 Posts
oh, yea if you have snails you actually want then assasins wouldnt work ;)

AB- I have also aquired three dwarf chain loaches within the past week. I inititally saw a big reduction in the number of small pond snails, but it seems like they're making a comeback in the last couple of days. Probably because the chain loaches are filling up on the other available food (which I can't stop feeding or I'll starve my cories). I would go with assassins, but I'm afraid they'd go after my smaller nerites, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts