The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to solicit comments on the article linked below, specifically the paragraph which reads, in part, “…the fry… were also prey for the snails as the fry surfaced among the duckweed (limna minor). Would assume that the snails ate as they will funnel style at the surface… ”
Aquarium: Paradise Fish Breeding

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Brain dead fry at least?
I'm afraid it takes very little to start an internet full of misinformation. But then I've not raised that type of fry and I guess there could be some really slow and really dumb fry to let a snail suck him to death!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've seen a post tonight on another forum about someone watching a cichlid fry swim up to a nerite.. picking at it's shell.. and the nerite sucking it in and eating it. Can look tomorrow to try to find it again.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I'd imagine it is possible with bubble nest builder babies, probably in the wriggler stadium. These "fry" look like someone dusted the water with very fine pepper.
I think it would be possible to skim a few of them if you were a snail, but not an intentional act, and not something that should be an issue after a week or so.

I have new found respect for snails, they ate all the dead algae on my amazon swords leaf in 2 days. It is literally looking fresh and green. I was contemplating cutting it off today.
And those were only baby snails. There is only one large one. I did throw out like 30 baby snails from my fry tanks last night... there was a bit of a population explosion.
Just scraped them of the glass with a flat knife, crushed them and fed them to the fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.