The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got home from a week long vacation, and discovered a snail in my 29g. It's a non-planted freshwater aquarium that has been running for years, and hasn't had anything new added to it in at least a year. Any idea where it could have come from? It is small and sort of transparent, with a pinkish color to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The same thing happened to me. One day I started seeing tiny what looks like trumpet snails. So far they all stay small, maybe a mm or two. I have no clue where they came from either. I haven't added anything new other than using some new high quality foods

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It is rare but I have read cases where pond snail and MTS snail eggs have survived for a long time dormant in the substrate just waiting for the right conditions to hatch. That could have been what happened in your case, but I am in no means an expert.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can try to get a photo if I can find it again. I have 3 zebra loaches in there, so I'm not sure how long it will survive anyway. I have another tank, but it's an hour away at my apartment. It's not a huge issue, I was just baffled by it. And when I said I haven't added anything in at least a year, I was being conservative. Honestly it's probably been at least two. I would just be very surprised if I hadn't noticed it for that long, but hey, I guess it's possible.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Yea sometimes if your not looking for them you'll never see them. I took,down a rcs tank,once and filled it two days later it was empty except,an inch at the bottom if,that. 3 weeks later had shrimp back in there lol

-Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts