The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a sms122 and ma957 regulator. my problem is that if i plug the power plug for the controller on to a power strip with anything else on it the solenoid will switch on when the sms122 turns it on(lite blinking) but when it shuts off the solenoid does not release.(meaning my co2 keeps running) If i plug it directly to the wall outlet it works ok. kinda weird. I called milwaukee and left an email any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
They recommend pluging it directly into an outlet.

You can put your unit on a power strip. However as is stated below some power strip do not provide full amperage and can potentially cause a problem. We find this scenario happens in about 5% of the applications we come in contact with.

If we can be of further assistance please contact us.

Milwaukee Instruments technical support.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talked to someone in tech support,they told me" quote use some oil to lube the solenoid like wd40" ??? does that sound right????

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thats how my solenoid behaved before I replaced it, it seemed to weaken and not be able to close. Milwaukee provided a replacement solenoid.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Sounds right if you want to get it to work on a powerstrip thats low on amperage. Think of an electric razor, you have to oil it up once and awhile or it just seizes. If you get a replacement, it's just going to be the same thing, with a fresh coat of oil on it. Why go through the trouble?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Dunno, my current one works just fine on a powerstrip...I think the strength of the coil varies and thus it becomes sensitive to power. You could try a different powerstrip, possibly one intended for more sensitive electronics like computers...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I ended up running the solenoid direct to the outlet. I tried to lube with food grade silicone spray which was suggested by tech support @ milwalkee. It made the problem worse the solenoid won't even work.I ended up wiping every thing dry and now it seems to work ok. Thanks Again

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well it got stuck on again last night! i ordered a pin point controller, should be here in a couple of days.sending the sms122 back to milwalkee ,and probably going to sell the replacement one when it get back!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my pinpoint controller today and IMO this controller works better than rhe sms122.I calibrated really good. Hopefully the one that comes back for repair works great too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts