The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It doesn't matter which is better. Both are much better than cheap aquarium regulators, and cost much more when new. Both are made for industrial/laboratory/commercial applications, with a much more demanding duty cycle, for customers who only buy reliable, sturdy, accurate regulators. We don't need top quality regulators for aquarium use, but the cheap aquarium regulators are a bit less than what we should demand. That's why used industrial/laboratory/commercial regulators are such a great buy - they cost about the same or less than aquarium regulators, but are of much higher quality.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It doesn't matter which is better. Both are much better than cheap aquarium regulators, and cost much more when new. Both are made for industrial/laboratory/commercial applications, with a much more demanding duty cycle, for customers who only buy reliable, sturdy, accurate regulators. We don't need top quality regulators for aquarium use, but the cheap aquarium regulators are a bit less than what we should demand. That's why used industrial/laboratory/commercial regulators are such a great buy - they cost about the same or less than aquarium regulators, but are of much higher quality.
I'm trying to get an answer to the same question, and there is a big price difference between the two!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have put in a fair amount of work into figuring out co2 systems. I have build several systems for other people. But I still don't know for sure about this question. I would think that the smith should be a better quality regulator. But as far as day to day function, they are going to accomplish the same thing. The two things that will really affect your regulator is the needle valve and going from single to double stage regulators. As long as the other components are not horrible, (and the cheap regulators like azoo and milwalkee are boarderline with this) there won't be much difference in performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts