The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to do a water change on my quarantine tank as i havent done one for 2 weeks as it was being used. I decided i wanted to clear the whole tank and replant as i dont have much in there , i stirred all the sand around and bubbles started to come up ... i went down stairs to get something in the kitchen and i could smell something really horrible i proceeded to go upstairs following the smell to my bedroom and my tank and smelt like eggs , that was over 2 hours ago and my room stinks like eggs and decompsing waste .. not pleasant., I havent stirred the sand for 1-2 months , could this be a anerobic pocket or what? I hadn't stirred my main tank for a few months until a few days back and nothing like that happened?

·
Registered
221 Posts
could this be a anerobic pocket or what? I hadn't stirred my main tank for a few months until a few days back and nothing like that happened?
It is. The waste breaks down into sulfides, which is what give it that rotten egg smell.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have some of them in my quarantine , they were in a couple days before the anerobic pocket. Is this a common problem?
If i get some of those snails will they help? I can get a bag of around 30 for £1

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have some of them in my quarantine , they were in a couple days before the anerobic pocket. Is this a common problem?
If i get some of those snails will they help? I can get a bag of around 30 for £1
Its a common thing and Trumpet snails will help, this seems to be ecspecally common in Sand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts