The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I've decided to have my 10g planted tank, a Cherry Shrimp only tank. I hope to succesfully breed them:) The tank is currently housing 1 Mystery Snail and a CT Betta. Once I get the shrimp, Those will go in the 1g. I am making a DIY sponge filter, as I've read it is best for shrimp. Here are the tank specs:
10g tank
Whisper 10 Filter-Filter floss will be put on intake
DIY Sponge Filter-Coming Soon
Whisper 5-15 Heater
DIY Hood-CF Bulbs, 3wpg
DIY Co2
Shulz's Aquatic Soil
Flora: Bacopa, Java Fern, Watersprite, and Wisteria. Taiwan Moss coming soon.
Fauna: Will house 1 Oto, and aiming to start with 10-20 Cherries
Ammonia:0
NitrIte:0
NitrAte:5
pH:7.0
I am adding 2 small pieces of driftwood towards the end of the week to tie the coming Taiwan Moss to.
Will get pics up tomorrow.

Thanks,

Smalltank

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, everything was going downhill on this tank, I sold my neons to my brother, who currently has 12(2 from me) with 2 Discus in his 30g. They would be better with him. I'm excited for what's to come:D

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Only 1 little lonely otto in your 10g? They do better in groups. Should get at least 4 of them. They like to stick together. :)
Noo offense, But what are you talking about, its a 10g and ottos alone are fine... I have one otto in my 55g oldest fish i have, And only fish:icon_lol:

If anything I would get 2, maybe 3 (just incase one dies...)

-Andrew

·
Registered
324 Posts
Noo offense, But what are you talking about, its a 10g and ottos alone are fine... I have one otto in my 55g oldest fish i have, And only fish:icon_lol:

If anything I would get 2, maybe 3 (just incase one dies...)

-Andrew
No offense but ottos are naturally schooling fish and do best in groups of at least 6.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
No offense but ottos are naturally schooling fish and do best in groups of at least 6.
That is true, but that is not 100% required. My otto is fine, But I do plan on getting a few more but for a different reason... Breeding maybe:hihi:

~T~ take into consideration of his tank size though... A better recommendation if you really want to be stingy is not to have one at all... I personally Think that ottos do best in bigger tanks but I know that many people will argue with me on that as well.

So its kinda a stalemate:icon_neut

But honestly, your otto will be fine (or ottos) If you get a large number, just be ready to get really good filtration OR a bigger tank as they get older...

-Andrew

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I am for sure getting 2 more. Sorry for the delay on pics, GW is coming back so I jumped right on it. I did a 25% w/c just 5 minutes ago, and will do one in 2 days. I will do 25% w/c's every other day until it's cleared. I finished making my DIY Sponge Filter last night, and its working pretty good:) Anyway, when the water clears, I promise to get pictures up. BTW, I will get some RCS when I get my water squared away with.

Smalltank

·
Registered
324 Posts
That is true, but that is not 100% required. My otto is fine, But I do plan on getting a few more but for a different reason... Breeding maybe:hihi:

~T~ take into consideration of his tank size though... A better recommendation if you really want to be stingy is not to have one at all... I personally Think that ottos do best in bigger tanks but I know that many people will argue with me on that as well.

So its kinda a stalemate:icon_neut

But honestly, your otto will be fine (or ottos) If you get a large number, just be ready to get really good filtration OR a bigger tank as they get older...

-Andrew
Nah I would agree with you.I have 4 on my 8gal planted but they just dont seem happy.They have been in their months and have just settled down.In the next few weeks i'll have a 40gal ready for a low light planted that im gonna breed apple snails/shrimp/bristlenose in and im gonna move them in there and get maybe another half dozen.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Nah I would agree with you.I have 4 on my 8gal planted but they just dont seem happy.They have been in their months and have just settled down.In the next few weeks i'll have a 40gal ready for a low light planted that im gonna breed apple snails/shrimp/bristlenose in and im gonna move them in there and get maybe another half dozen.
Yeah I'm the same way. I think they do great in the 55g but they can swim sooo fast! when Mine gets spooked she will go back and forth the 55g (4ft long) in seconds... Thats why I would love to see them in bigger tanks...

-Andrew

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in Muskego, which is about 30 minutes south west of Milwaukee. I am planning on getting the shrimp from some on here, and I have picked someone out already that I might stick with. Thanks, and possibly we could work something out later to switch up the genes of the future shrimp:)
Very sorry for the huge delay if anyone has been following. My motherboard on my computer fried and won't get a new one for 2-4 week period. My tank looks okay, I had received my Taiwan Moss a couple of weeks ago(thanks Shadow) and just a few days ago it has been exploding with new growth. As for the shrimp, I'm still going to wait a few weeks. When I get my new computer I will definately be ready to purchase. I've been saving up a little as I am looking for a job either at Subway or Cousins subs(I'm 14 and could use a little money to take care of things). Before the shrimp come, I plan on getting filter cartridges(used last one yesterday), Shrimp food, and 2 more Otos(1 more for this tank and 1 for the 1g.) BTW, I am not sure on shrimp food yet, I have to do more research. Looking at other peoples shrimp and what they feed them, would Crab Cuisine be fine? Anyway, I will definately get pics up tomorrow, I promise:)

Smalltank

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WooHoo!

The green water is finally gone! It came back after that last picture update and I took it out with the combination of a 3 day blackout and willow branches. The tank has been clear for about 2 weeks now, and all the parameters are in check:
pH: 7.0
Am: 0
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: 5
KH: 120
The taiwan moss stopped exploding in new growth for a while but now since the green water is gone, it is exploding once again. I sent a pm for the cherries so hopefully I will have them in the next month. Here are the pictures:
Full tank:

Left:

Right:

Enjoy!:biggrin:

Smalltank

·
Registered
452 Posts
Shweet tank! I agree, the shrimp will love the moss!

I actually think it would be really cool if you got the moss on the other side too. Maybe have something like blyxa next to the driftwood and the rest of the tank mossed out, that would look nifty.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.