The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! I am 14 and have been in the fishkeeping hobby since October of 2005. I am a member on Plantgeek.net and MyFishTank.net with all the same name-Smalltank3. On MFT, I have a journal from when I started live plants to now. Anyway here is my tank
Specs:
Tank Size: 10 U.S. Gallons
Lighting: 3 CF 10w bulbs; 3wpg
Filter: Tetra Whisper Power Filter
Tetra Heater
Substrate: Shulz's Aquatic Soil
=============================================
Fish:
12 White Clouds
4 Guppies(2 Adult Females, 2 1 month old fry)
2 Pygmy Cories
2 Otos
1 SAE
Plants:
Aponogeton Crispus
Dwarf Sag
Green Hygro
Java Fern
Java Moss
Lily Bulb
Watersprite
Full tank:

Java Moss(little clumps is flake food):

White Cloud:

1.5" SAE:

Smalltank

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why?

i bet that SAE thins out your moss
Why would he? He hasn't touched my moss ever since I got it, in fact he never even goes by it. He stays on the driftwood. I've read that soem SAE's do eat moss, but mine isn't so far.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'll try. It is hard to spread it completely because of how thick and healthy it is lol.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Wow, your tank makes mine look like a lfs tank! mine sucks compared to yours, i love the moss. I couldn't get mine to grow like that, i put it in a cup and let it almost all die for a few months, now it's growing well.
I'm 16 BTW, and have been in the hobby seriusly since august '04.( i think, maybe longer.

I know a few young aqua-addicts now, there are lots on this forum.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update 1-13-07

sNapple: So far so good on the SAE.
Hey everyone!
My watersprite continues with new growth same with my dwarf sag. The dwarf sag has now a total of 4 runners:cool: The right section of the tank is really filling up as the dwarf sag is filling in and the hygro(with 2 stems at the start of new lighting) has stems growing off the original ones to form 10 plants! That is really doing well. I see pearling on every single plant each day which is a good sign. I am looking into getting Flourish, Flourish Iron, and Flourish Excel for ferts. I am also planning on getting an order of cherry shrimp at the end of the month from T_om. Here's the pics:
Full Tank:

Left:

Middle:

Right:

Dwarf Sag and Hygro:

SAE:

Male Guppy Fry:

Thanks for reading and enjoy!

Smalltank:icon_mrgr

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Bad and towards the end, Good

Well it has been a while since my last update, so here comes a huge reading for you.
I took the big piece of driftwood out. I kept the small piece of driftwood in. I put the Java Fern in various cracks of the driftwood. I also tied a little bit of Java Moss to the driftwood. I added a big rock and attached Java Moss to it too. I had extra Java Moss so I put it in the front right corner of the tank as a carpet there. Everything was going so good:)
Boom! Green water infested my tank. Green spot algae covered the walls, staghorn on my plants, GOD:angryfire I did 2 big 80% w/c's then a 90% the next day. The green water was gone then I had a white cloudy tank. Then I did 2 90% w/c one after the other. The next morning, tank still cloudy, were 7 white clouds, 1 female guppy, and 2 pygmy cories dead. The remaining fish were 6 white clouds, 1 male guppy, 2 otos, and an SAE. I tested my water and the parameters were fine(Am: 0, NitrIte: 0 NitrAte: 10). I had no idea. The next day, I woke up and the rest were dead(friday). Which brings us to today......
Today, I tore down my tank. First, I took out all the plants and equipment and put them in a container with water, with both filters running in there. I then took all the Shulz's aquatic soil out, rinsed for about 45 minutes getting rid of all the muddy crud that was buried in it, then scrubbed the walls free of algae, drained the tank, put the substrate in, filled the tank, dechlored, added driftwood and rock, planted, put equipment back in, and turned everything back on. The whole process took about 2 hours. My tank seems algae free, which makes the whole thing worth it. I think that 2 filter cartridges, plants, driftwood, rock, and the heater, will have plenty of bacteria to prevent a mini-cycle. My tank(when I took the picture) was still a little cloudy from filling the tank. Then about 2 hours ago, I spotted an egg on my piece of driftwood. It is about the size of a bb. I can see a black object curled inside of it. The egg does not have any fungus on it. I did however think it might be an oto egg. My reason for this is because my otos on thursday night, were in the T position. The female probably laid the egg then, and the male fertilized it. Then Friday morning they were dead. I checked just about 15 minutes ago, and the black object inside has changed it's position. I think it might hatch! Anyway, if it does hatch, I'm worried the little fry would get sucked up my filter intake. Besides pantyhose, is there any other way I could cover the intake up? Well enough chatter, here are the pics:
Tank:

Egg:

another, as close as I could get:

Any ideas?

Smalltank(time for some sleep):sleep:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. And that egg looks like a ramshorn snail. The way you describe it seems like one too. Otherwise, I've never seen an egg like that, and your inhabitants would not create eggs like that. guppies are liverbearers, white clouds lay very tiny eggs, and ottos lay many eggs.

Im thinking your massive water changes killed you tank. Never do such big water changes so frequently. It will kill you beneficial bacteria, but as you said testing proved no high levels of ammonia and nitrite. Did you forget to add decholrinator? Maybe your tap water changed its parameters and your fish all died of PH shock?

Also, cleaning your substrate (which I did in my noob days) is a HUMONGOUS NO NO. IMO your substrate holds the most beneficial bacteria, and you just destroyed your colony.

You should read Rex Grigg's site. Rexgrigg.com

And just read read read. I spent hours/days/weeks/months just continuously reading. I still do, just not as much.

If you ever get algae like that again, READ! don't just throw assumptions that water changes will get rid of it. It may, but it will also take everything with it!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Woohoo! I got my fish and ghosties last night! I purchased 1 Oto(3/4"), 1 Male Swordtail(2") and 8 Ghost shrimp. If the ghost shrimp live for 2 weeks, I am ordering the Cherries. When I came home today from school, 4 were dead. I looked before I went to school this morning and all were alive. Hopefully the other 4 survive. I have confidence because whenever I would buy any type of shrimp before, they ALL would be dead. They were all the big ghosties too. I have 3 medium size and 1 small size shrimp. Anyway, the swordtail pays no attention to the shrimp and just swims along having the tank to himself, happily:D He's so cool, I hope he lives for a long time. Anyway, the oto is off working everytime I look into the tank.
For the plants, I was urging myself to get rotala indica but I held off. My brother just went planted and when he trims his Sunset hygro, I get to get it. I had to take all of the Java Moss off of the rock because it was dead. However, there was little that is green, which is still on the rock. I added an additional rock, which looks cool. The Bacopa is exploding with new growth. With less then a week, it is almost to the top(see last post)
Full Tank:

Bacopa:

Oto:

Swordtail pics(I couldn't stop taking pictures of him:D):

Smalltank:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

First off, it's been a while. My swordtail died about a week ago. I bought 4 neons, but 1 died. I also added a mystery snail too. Then green water hit......
Well, nothing worked. The green water is gone because I tore down the tank and cleaned EVERYTHING. I moved the fish and snail into the 1g until I know for sure the tank has completely cycled. I drained the tank, siphoned the Shulz's, cleaned filters, driftwood, rocks, walls, and rinsed the plants. I did not change filter cartridges because I want to speed up the cycle. Here is the end result after putting the Shulz's in:

Planted:

Left:

Middle:

Right:

Water is still a little cloudy from the tear down. I have 2 plants of Watersprite, 1 huge bunch of Wisteria, lots of Bacopa, Java Fern, and 1 stem of Sunset Hygro. I am going to try shrimp again, but not until I know it is safe. Same with the fish in the 1g. They will not go in until I know it is completely cycled. I will get 3 Ghost shrimp, then if they live Cherry shrimp.
Future Plans:
DIY Co2 back up(Tomorrow, or this week)
Glosso
Add fish from 1g
4 more Neons
1 More Oto
Cherry Shrimp

Smalltank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts