The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name off some stem plants that have small leaves and stay short/compact?

For example, Rotala pearl mini Type 1 and Type 2, Rotala wayanad, Ludwigia mini super red, Ludwigia

Just looking at what options there are to have a nano tank look larger than it really is.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hygrophila corymbosa 'kompakt'..
Saw some yesterday, seems small enough as a centerpiece in a 2.5 to 5 gallon tank.
It is way, way too big for 2.5 gallon tank! Stems have shorter internodes but even so it'll require very frequent trimming as it'll reach surface of such a small tank in no time. Leaves are of the same size as on regular Hygrophila corymbosa - wide and long (5-6 inches each or more) - and the width of a typical 2.5 g tank is just 6 inches.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It is way, way too big for 2.5 gallon tank! Stems have shorter internodes but even so it'll require very frequent trimming as it'll reach surface of such a small tank in no time. Leaves are of the same size as on regular Hygrophila corymbosa - wide and long (5-6 inches each or more) - and the width of a typical 2.5 g tank is just 6 inches.
OK, thanks The one I saw was potted and probably in emergent growth, but it looked like a nice, small growth in diameter, but also shortish stem length plant.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
This one:
tallest is about 3.5" above substrate i've grown it, but i have been trimming it too to propagate more

Reactions: WaterLife

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Well what plant is that??? :p
Looks like Syngonanthus ('belem'?), but not sure what species stays that short. Unless you are just blasting out a ton of light.
U right on the Syngonanthus part>:)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have this as a bush and don't laugh at me, but have you thought about HM? If separated into individual stems it could have a stem plant affect. Space the stems maybe a half an inch to an inch apart and let them grow in. If you have high light it will creep along the substrate though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.