The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I have a Nuvo Fusion 20 that I am converting from Saltwater to a freshwater planted tank. I want to add a co2 diffuser to the "sump" back compartment of the tank. I have 10" from the bottom of the tank to the outlet on top. My pump is 5" tall. Does anyone know the smallest co2 diffuser that I can fit in line that will take up less than 5" including the Y split to each return nozzle?

Am I better just going with a co2 diffuser? I was trying to keep all the equipment in the back of the tank so was trying to avoid this method. Would putting the diffuser in compartment that is 4" wide lose a lot of it before getting pumped into the tank? The water overflows from this into the pump section.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
621 Posts
So for inline you'd want a reactor. But I don't think you'll find one that size. So back to the diffuser.

Looking at this I would probably put the diffuser on the back panel's wall, use the suction cups it comes with. And I would put it near the pump intake. not so close that it's pulling in nothing but co2 bubbles but so that maybe some slip in. mostly you'll just want it so that it's pulling in as much of the dissolved co2 as possible.

You can get any of them. But I might recommend just getting a CO2art diffuser. I bought a cheap one and then a month later decided to go with the CO2art. so much better, much finer bubbles. The CO2art one looks similar to the one I boxed. check ebay, think I found it there for $20 vs like $30 on their site.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I think my best bet is what Aaronious suggested with the co2 art diffuser by the return pump. I looked at that style diffuser on amazon and they are 5" tall. If it was 4" it would work but none of them seem to be that short.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
621 Posts
@JMH87

Afterthought. I'm sure you want it in the back to hide it. I totally get that. So I was thinking... maybe there is a way to setup a mini baffle system under one of the other two baffles in the spaces there. It would allow the CO2 to be in the water column longer. This is totally a random thought and I have no idea if would be feasible since the bubbles would become pretty much useless and it would just be pockets of CO2. However it will come out eventually...

Thinking mini baffles, then a fine sponge to use as a makeshift diffuser. the water coming out of the corner should have a high diffused CO2 content. Once the CO2 is shut off there will be a pocket of CO2 in there but that shouldn't be more than adjusting the start and stop times of the CO2 timer.

I haven't researched this at all, it's totally theory not even a hypothesis yet. But that's what I have been doing. Lots of experimenting in this hobby. Part of why I like it.

oh man, another thought. can you move that pump? maybe move it to the side, add hosing in there that allows you to fit a reactor to the pump output and then loop it back to the Y connection. I have never had a tank like that so I don't know how much DIY that would be, but I imagine a lot.

sorry, super rough. But you get it I think. Red box is the diffuser and the red lines are the hosing you would add.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like where you going with this. I'm not sure how to make that bend without causing a lot of extra pressure on the pump. Here is the return pump I am using. MightyJet Desktop AIO DC Return Pump (326 GPH) - Innovative Marine. It is also 5 inches wide. that leaves me 4.5" side to side in there.

I found this one that may work. Any idea of having the aluminum in the water would cause a problem? I also don't see anything in the tube to diffuse like a ceramic.

Amazon.com : Awesome Aquatic Inline CO2 Atomizer Bubble Diffuser Reactor Injector for Planted Aquariums Tanks 1/2 – 5/8 (12-16 mm) Quality Aluminum - Acrylic Sturdy Check Valve Bubble Counter Ceramic Diffuser : Pet Supplies

I found this one that may work. Any idea of having the aluminum in the water would cause a problem? I also don't see anything in the tube to diffuse like a ceramic.

Amazon.com : Awesome Aquatic Inline CO2 Atomizer Bubble Diffuser Reactor Injector for Planted Aquariums Tanks 1/2 – 5/8 (12-16 mm) Quality Aluminum - Acrylic Sturdy Check Valve Bubble Counter Ceramic Diffuser : Pet Supplies
I was reading and it said not to use aluminum in the water... I guess I'm back to square one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was reading and it said not to use aluminum in the water... I guess I'm back to square one.
I have a 28g JBJ AIO and use an all-plastic inline diffuser on one of the return lines. If you go to fleabay and type "Aquarium Co2 Atomizer System Diffuser 16/22mm" into the search bar you will get options for the diffuser. They are just under 4" in size. Just make sure to order the right one for the return tubing size you are using. I'm very happy with it. BTW - these are also available on Amazon but a bit more money for the exact same product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.