The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 years ago on Black Friday I snagged a "Top Fin" branded 40breeder bookshelf stand that was marked incorrectly at $40. Awesome, I thought. Well life happened and after 3 years, I broke it out of the attic, busted it out of the box, slapped it together, and put my Aqueon 40 breeder on. It was then I noticed....the tanks didn't line up. I have about 1/8" overhang on both sides of the stand. Naturally, I'm a little bummed.

20210125_124657_HDR.jpg 20210125_124706_HDR.jpg

I know better safe than sorry...etc, but is this a deal breaker? What about gluing a piece of ply cut to fit?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Id get a piece of plywood cut to fit, then drill or glue it on top. Then if you wanted, you could wrap some crown moulding around the lip to hide the edges. That's essentially what I did to use a bookshelf as a stand for my 45 gallon tank (except I used double sided tape to stick the plywood to the bookshelf top).

I can get a picture if you'd like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll play it safe and make sure the tank is fully supported! I called around and pine stands are almost $300 around here so I'd rather not pay that. DIY it looks like.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll play it safe and make sure the tank is fully supported! I called around and pine stands are almost $300 around here so I'd rather not pay that. DIY it looks like.
All I'd do personally is cut a new top for the current stand and paint it black. 1/2" or 3/4" presswood (the fine smooth kind), a coat of primer and 2 coats of paint. Glue it to the existing top if you want and it's never going to move.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about it. The thickness of the glass looks to be about the same size of the overhang, which means that you aren't going to have the weight of the water in the tank acting on the bottom of the overhang edge. The only thing that would be loading the overhang edge would be the glass panel. Since the tank is already designed to carry this load, you don't need to add any additional support.

If you were going to support it, it would be recommended to have something cut to support the entire bottom of the tank, adding a small piece of plywood just under that edge won't do anything because the bond that you get between the plywood and the existing cabinet wont be strong enough to actually provide any beneficial support.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you were going to support it, it would be recommended to have something cut to support the entire bottom of the tank, adding a small piece of plywood just under that edge won't do anything because the bond that you get between the plywood and the existing cabinet wont be strong enough to actually provide any beneficial support.
Correct, this is what I meant. If I go that route, my plan is to cut the wood to fit the entire top + over hang and paint and finish to match. Thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts