The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a small 5 gallon tank for some shrimp and i want to get a heater for it. what would you recommend for a good heater.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Hydor theo ($13.99 @ big al's online). Been through several ones, nonadjustable and adjustable versions in numerous nanos. The theo isn't much more expensive but is leagues over the competition due to reliability and function. If you wanted a step up from this, the aqueous pro line offers ceramic non glass heater casing, and a step up from that would be the eheim/ ebojager ones.

I'd skip the tetras, fluval,and other off brands based on experience. You'll likely run into trouble and spend more $ to replace in the long run.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my room can get pretty cold. i think the water droped close to somewhere in the 60's recently. they're just going to be cherry shrimp and maybe an amano for extra algae care.

·
Super Moderator
16,041 Posts
If your temps ever do get too cold for your comfort, heaters for small tanks are cheap. And for the smaller sizes, you can get a high-end heater without breaking the bank.

For a tank that size, though, you can warm things up easily with a light fixture resting on the top of the tank or adjusting your room temperature a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts