The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
The smallest solitary fish I have in my aquarium is the bumblebee goby. It's about the size of a harlequin rasbora - so not micro by any standard.

Naturally, I would think, there are probably very few freshwater micro fish that are solitary. Most small fish must rely on greater numbers to survive in the wild so I wouldn't think there are that many. In saltwater...well the ocean is one weird place. I won't even try to assume we know to enough to make a blanket statement like that.

Nonetheless, I'm interested in the question - I'll be looking forward to some fish being named.

·
Registered
465 Posts
+1 for bumblebee gobys. They don't get over an inch and theyre sooo cute!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have two badis badis (I believe thats a variation of the dario dario - mine are blue rather than scarlet). Both of my badis badis are larger than both of my bumblebee gobys and the gobys are full grown.

Both fish are awesome to have and watch. The badis badis are really ballsy fish though - they won't swim away when you anything taps the tank. They are very inquisitive. They're like mini blue rams but more active. Great option for solitary fish that look beautiful.

The bumblebee gobys are awesome too..i love it when they latch themselves on the glass as if they're ottos. They are also fun to feed and their shape, size and color variation add a nice "oohhh whats that" effect to the tank. They have that sort of pre-historic look to their face. In fact their faces remind me of the megamouth shark!

·
Registered
465 Posts
They look like frowning old men :) in fish form.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I thought bumblebee goies were brackish?
they are technically, but one species can survive better in FW than the other. they really should be kept in brackish to really do well though. same with archer fish.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mine are the brackish kind and they are doing great. There is a species I've read that has an extra stripe or something and those are better for freshwater. I haven't had problems with mine.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Myth or not, I have the one that is more FW friendly. They aren't stressed and look like they're doing very well. The home I provide is at least better than the tank they came from in the LFS...

I have two and they are rarely seen together - very solitary in my tank. Even the fish that are normally found in large numbers of which I only have a pair still stick together. Not so with the gobys.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Myth or not, I have the one that is more FW friendly. They aren't stressed and look like they're doing very well. The home I provide is at least better than the tank they came from in the LFS...
There isn't one that is more "FW friendly", because they're all "FW friendly". And yeah, they don't get it very well from most stores I've seen.

I have two and they are rarely seen together - very solitary in my tank. Even the fish that are normally found in large numbers of which I only have a pair still stick together. Not so with the gobys.
Other than aggregatus, they are loners. But I just find them more fun to keep in groups to watch them bark at one another.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.