The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I need a peaceful small snail eating freshwater fish for my 20 glason long tank.

current fish:
5 ghost/glass catfish
4 glofish
3 platys
2 albino Cory cats
1 fancy Molly
1 chinese agle eater
1 small Molly(at least a think it's a Molly). it only an inch and it's named duckie cause it of way it swims. it so funny and one of fav fish in tank.

now I know ottos will eat snail, but not sure if I can mix them with my glass cats. please help

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I am raising assassin snails and have been selling them for a while. Mine do very well but many people can not get theirs to reproduce at all. I have not had any problems selling my extra ones. But if you only get 2 or 3 of them the likelyhood of them mating and reproducing is not that great. And they only lay a single egg each time that takes weeks before you see a baby assassin snail out in the open. But if they breed and they run out of pest snails they are supposed to stop breeding until pest snails are available again. I cannot confirm that as I never have run out of pest snails so far. Most LFSs will also gladly take any extras off your hand if you do not want to mess with selling and shipping them, providing they breed for you in the first place.
Or you could buy "Had a Snail".

The only small fish that comes to my mind that eats snails would be a dwarf puffer but they can get sort of nippy and I would not subject my fish to one of them.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Dwar pea puffers will eat snails, though it's not the a completely peaceful fish. We had 2 pea puffers with otos and amano shrimps in a 5 gallon and never saw them being bothered, but it might depend on the temperament of each puffer. They are pretty small at ~1-1.5".

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
qustion when I bought my Chinese algea eater, the people there said it may get more meaner when it get older, I thought they would crazy and bought one anyway. just wondering if it true in any way

·
Registered
300 Posts
qustion when I bought my Chinese algea eater, the people there said it may get more meaner when it get older, I thought they would crazy and bought one anyway. just wondering if it true in any way
CAEs like to eat the slime coat off other fish. They get large and aggressive and aren't very good at eating Algae. I always recommended Otos or Pitbull Plecos instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
You can blanch a piece of Zucchini, Spinach or Romaine weight it down with a zip tie or rock. Turn the lights out. Wait an hour. Turn lights on scoop up a ton of snails.
If the tank is big enough lay the net on the bottom and place the bait food on the net. Even easier to scoop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.