1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I have found that any tank under 5 gallons is really hard to stabilize for shrimp. If you are new to shrimp I wouldnt do the first one-- 2.65 gallons is a tricky one to start out with- even with cherry shrimp..

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah, agree with @Discusluv.

Have you kept shrimp before? If not, I would really recommend you pick one species or the other and focus on getting it right for that one.

It's hard for me to tell exactly, but it looks like the filter intakes on all the tanks linked are not going to be safe for shrimplets. You may be able to cover the intakes with a sponge, but I wouldn't use them as is.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
A 5-10 gallon (19-38 liter) tank is recommended at minimum. Preferably the larger tank... more stability.

If you haven't kept shrimp before, I would recommend 3 separate tanks... You'll need an active substrate in two tanks (for the crystals) and an inert substrate is fine for the other tank (Neos).

RO water or distilled is recommended. You'll need GH for two tanks (again, crystals) and GH + KH for the other tank (Neos).

If all that sounds complicated, then start with one species/type before expanding, being aware that certain types of shrimp may thrive best in specific parameters.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have found that any tank under 5 gallons is really hard to stabilize for shrimp. If you are new to shrimp I wouldnt do the first one-- 2.65 gallons is a tricky one to start out with- even with cherry shrimp..
Had a 60L tank which I built. I had red cherry shrimp, some crystal and one bamboo shrimp. They did not breed and two shrimp got some fungi/parasite growing on them.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Had a 60L tank which I built. I had red cherry shrimp, some crystal and one bamboo shrimp. They did not breed and two shrimp go some fungi/parasite growing on them.
All the more reason to start out with more water volume. Shrimp can be difficult- in a 2.65 gallon its better to have some experience under your belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.