The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all fish have a potential to jump, but what are some species that are less prone to jumping? I have a rimless 20 gallon tank with a small school of rummy nose tetras and a few Amano shrimp. It's also heavily planted. Currently, my rummys never explore the tank--they jump swim back and forth in a school, so I want some diversity in there. My ideal fish would be celestial pearl danios, but a quick google search has told me they are frequent jumpers. Do you guys know of any other small fish that have similar behaviors (e.g. swim through plants in the back of the tank)?

...Not many people actively look for shy fish lol, so I'm having trouble coming up with a list. Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have Mosquito rasbora( rasbora brigittae) in my 8 gallon rimless uncovered tank. They are pleasure to watch and IMO there are the safest fish to have in uncovered tank.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
My black neons are wonderful little fish. They are hardy and do not jump. They seperate and explore the tank, then they will tightly school. I have them in a 20 long and they use every inch of the tank.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like both mosquito rasboras and black neons quite a bit, so I'm glad to hear that they aren't jumpers. Looks like it won't be a hard decision for me to find a fish. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I have Mosquito rasbora( rasbora brigittae) in my 8 gallon rimless uncovered tank. They are pleasure to watch and IMO there are the safest fish to have in uncovered tank.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I agree - the Boraras species( called dwarf, or miniature, rasboras, or mosquioto rasboras) would be ideal for your purposes. There are 6 different strains in the Boraras genus -most usually available.
I've personally kept the Brigittae, the Maculatus, and the Merah - all really colorful specimens.
Check them out here:
The Genus Boraras: Miniature Jewels (Full Article) | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

·
Registered
289 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Espei rasboras are also a nice edition. Mine play in the outflow of my canister. They swim into it then let it fling them across the tank. Pretty entertaining, And they are all over the tank. Colorful fish as well. Mine never jump. Espe's Rasbora, Lambchop Rabora, Trigonostigma espei

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really liking the Brigittae rasboras. I'll probably pick up a school of those. I'm still on the lookout for a fish that will actively swim through the plants (think kuhli loach or sparkling gourami that is shrimp-safe) vs swim in the open water column, but I think my fish needs will be satisfied for awhile. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and links!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.