The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a planted 55 gallon tank that has been established with a few tetras for about 8 months now. I want a showpeice fish particularly the denison barbs (torpedo barb). I was thinking a group of 5 to 6 of these guys with some cories and maybe a few harlequin rasboras. My water parameters are very good and the tank is being turned over about 18 times per hour by two aquaclear 110 filters. The water has good surface agitation and is well oxygenated. Would this stocking setup work as far as inhabitant comfort? I have heard many say their denison barbs are flourishing in their 55's and I know some that say they should be in a bigger tank. What do you think? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you :icon_smil

·
Registered
712 Posts
Normally, if I hear many accounts of people maintaining them in a 55G, then I would say go for it.

However, I remember someone telling me that denison barbs are endangered from being exploited by the aquarium trade. If that's true, then simply ethically speaking, I would stay away from that fish. I know how's its like to see that one fish and really want it in your aquarium, but if its true, its only the right thing to do.

Of course I only heard this...but I think its worth asking to see if it's true.

Otherwise, I think you should be ok as many fish grow according to tank size...as long as you're not trying to put a whale (no not the catfish) in a 55G :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.